GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI 6 Speed Manual Clutch Replacement DIY

mg_90

Excellent DIY! :thumbsup:

Followed this tutorial to change the flywheel, pressure plate, disc and since I was there the TOB and rear main seal. It took quite a lot since it was my fisrt time doing this but in the end everything came out great and now I am enjoying the new Sachs SRE clutch, the OEM clutch was in need of a replacement...

:yikes:

Last edited:

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
Excellent DIY! :thumbsup:

Followed this tutorial to change the flywheel, pressure plate, disc and since I was there the TOB and rear main seal. It took quite a lot since it was my fisrt time doing this but in the end everything came out great and now I am enjoying the new Sachs SRE clutch, the OEM clutch was in need of a replacement...

:yikes:

I'm glad it was helpful! Good luck with your new clutch!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Sauce118

Ready to race!
i have done clutches on other FWD cars, but never a VW.. im going to use this as a guide starting here in a few mins with only hand tools on jack stands. It looks simple enough. Wish me luck!! putting the RSR from HS Tuning in

Jared32

Ready to race!
i have done clutches on other FWD cars, but never a VW.. im going to use this as a guide starting here in a few mins with only hand tools on jack stands. It looks simple enough. Wish me luck!! putting the RSR from HS Tuning in

Post up how it goes!!! Good luck!!!

Sent from my EYEphone to yours...

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!

If you've done clutch jobs on other cars, then this will be relatively easy for you. Don't sweat it!

tomr1088

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know if this was said as I didn't see the diy updated.

Torque specs for transmission mount bracket to trans are supposed to be 40NM +90 not 60NM +90

The transmission mount to bracket are 60NM +90 like states originally.

Pretty sure. 99%

VgRt6

Ready to race!

Torque specs for transmission mount bracket to trans are supposed to be 40NM +90 not 60NM +90

Pretty sure. 99%

Edit: the following is for dogbone bolts, not the bolts you were referring to. Oops.

The torque spec depends on which type of bolts came with your car/transmission. Grade 12.9 bolts are used with transmissions that have helicoil inserts. The torque spec is 50NM+90• for these boots. Grade 10.9 bolts are used with transmissions that do not have helicoil inserts. The torque spec is 40NM+90• for these boots. The grade is stamped into the head of the bolt. Check the bolts on your car so you know the correct replacement bolts to buy and torque spec to use when installing them.

Nick_MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
T is for TURBO - Thanks for the great DIY! I kept telling myself if I was able to do multiple AWD and FWD DSM clutch jobs back in my DSM days I should be able to do one of these! Seeing your process pretty much settled my worries. I see you're in Milwaukee, Me as well. Want to help with mine? ;)

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
T is for TURBO - Thanks for the great DIY! I kept telling myself if I was able to do multiple AWD and FWD DSM clutch jobs back in my DSM days I should be able to do one of these! Seeing your process pretty much settled my worries. I see you're in Milwaukee, Me as well. Want to help with mine? ;)

Lol, I just did an S2000 clutch last weekend. So I'm a little burnt out on working on cars for a bit ;) This is no more difficult then a FWD DSM clutch, and it is easier than an AWD DSM clutch. I think you'll do just fine!

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!

Pretty sure. 99%

What is your source? I got all of my data directly from the Audi A3 service manual. Both the A3 and GTI use the 02Q transmission.

Nick_MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol, I just did an S2000 clutch last weekend. So I'm a little burnt out on working on cars for a bit ;) This is no more difficult then a FWD DSM clutch, and it is easier than an AWD DSM clutch. I think you'll do just fine!

Sounds good! I am still trying to decide on a clutch. I'm currently APR Stg2 + supporting mods. It slipped about two months ago on the freeway then was fine. Then I proceeded to test it by doing 3 launches. On the 3rd launch it slipped. Since then it has been perfect! I don't drive like a grandma either and also do multiple 4-6th full boost pulls.

I have a feeling it is a ticking time bomb though...

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
mine started slipping right after the tune, but I was able to hold off for a few thousand miles before I finally got a clutch. I REALLY like this south bend. I have one in my DSM and this car and they both hold power just fine.