Votes: 35 20.0%
  • Yes, Tuned/benchflashed

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • No, Tuned/benchflashed

Votes: 118 67.4%

• Total voters

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Tuned at 10k. Currently at 50k after 2 years with no issues.

If my ECU fails in the next month I'm coming to you for payment for jinxing me.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
both GTI and A3 were bench flashes, never a problem.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
both GTI and A3 were bench flashes, never a problem.

Can we make this a sticky? It would be nice to get a good data set so this would ensure that ppl that don't visit to frequently see this on the top and vote :thumbsup:

balius

Go Kart Champion
Just upgraded to a Gti and now I'm getting scared to even
touch mine.:yikes:

Don't be. As long as it's a reputible tuner like the shop I was at, they'll take care of you if something like my incident happens. FWIW, I've since been tuned for 65k miles, and haven't had a single issue.

mfdave

Passed Driver's Ed
As some have noted, this is a classic jinx.

I was bench flashed 15k miles ago. All is well, so far (oh GTI gods I know I have spited thee).

knock on wood.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Don't be. As long as it's a reputible tuner like the shop I was at, they'll take care of you if something like my incident happens. FWIW, I've since been tuned for 65k miles, and haven't had a single issue.

Every case where a shop "took care" of someone was when they fried the ECU during the flash process itself. If it happens 1+ years down the road most pay out of pocket.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Got my tune from APR HQ in Alabama 1500 miles after purchasing it... went stage 2 at 8000 miles.

Sitting at 31k now; no issues; plan to go k04 soon

emk6

Ready to race!
60k and ECU was showing signs of failure less then 1 year after install.

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
It feels like its time to make this thread, there have been quite a few failures and it would be good to have some kind of data depository for this. Since not a week goes by without a new ECU that fries. Given that the average repair costs 2k and is VW OEM only this is a pretty significant risk to those that tune their cars.

If you had an ECU that failed please note if:
1. Flashed, yes or no
2. Miles after flash, or at point of failure.

too late now I'm sure, but knowing WHAT TUNER each ECU used would have been good data as well ... :iono:

-Flashed/tuned, and flashed TWICE --- had to re-bench flash my when I went K04 due to "complicaitons" with the server
- no failure (**knocks on wood**)
-APR tuned

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
too late now I'm sure, but knowing WHAT TUNER each ECU used would have been good data as well ... :iono:

-Flashed/tuned, and flashed TWICE --- had to re-bench flash my when I went K04 due to "complicaitons" with the server
- no failure (**knocks on wood**)
-APR tuned
Agreed to some extent ... Tuner and shop are both factors.

But it would be nice to have a general idea as to what the failure rate is on tuned cars period.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed to some extent ... Tuner and shop are both factors.

But it would be nice to have a general idea as to what the failure rate is on tuned cars period.

exactly why i mentioned that i got my tune done at APR in Opelika AL. something tells me they are a bit more experienced than most garage shops

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Besides I think that it is a tuners responsibility to train everyone appropriately that installs their tunes. I know mistakes happen, but more often than not it turns into an ugly finger pointing exercise with the customer caught in the middle with a fubared ECU.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
If I were to do it again, I would never do it at an independent shop even if it's free install (as it was). I would send my ECU directly to the tuning company.