GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video: MK7 vs MK6 APR stage 1

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
Weight has little to do with top end pull, its all about the HP. Weight only plays into acceleration, as you go faster, you accelerate less and the reduced weight advantage shrinks. The MkVII in the video makes more HP, or has a far superior CG(doubtful).

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
I like how the mk7 still keeps up with a stage 1. That is pretty awesome. I believe the European models make better power though right? I was reading that because they get a direct and port injected motor they make a lot more torque and have a better top end as well because of this. So, our results might be different? Is this true at all?

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Weight has little to do with top end pull, its all about the HP. Weight only plays into acceleration, as you go faster, you accelerate less and the reduced weight advantage shrinks. The MkVII in the video makes more HP, or has a far superior CG(doubtful).

LOL I said weight reduction helps. although this advantage shrinks at higher speeds but it's still there contributing to catch up on the mk6!
it's not all about the HP :confused: you know :iono: there is better drag, different gear ratios and other thing that I might have missed; you can't just take one variable and assume it's the main reason ;) mk6 in this video has far more hp as well as torque than mk7 :rolleyes:

gtiw7

Ready to race!
I like how the mk7 still keeps up with a stage 1. That is pretty awesome. I believe the European models make better power though right? I was reading that because they get a direct and port injected motor they make a lot more torque and have a better top end as well because of this. So, our results might be different? Is this true at all?

this actully wasn't in Europe :D I'm not particularly sure what models are these, Asian Models?! lol however we in the Middle East tend to get what you guys get in the US even pricing wise... we have detuned mk6 R as well as detuned mk7 R :( not fair I know!

p.s maybe some people are right saying the whole detune thing is just applied for marketing purposes? :iono:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
The baseline Golf and TDI went from a Cd of 0.32 on Mk6 to a 0.28 on the Mk7, so don't be surprised if the aerodynamic drag has a ton to do with this result, especially at the high end speeds these guys were doing.

If you put 220 HP in a Prius, it'd probably pull on both of these cars.

JhnR

Banned
not bad. Love the fact mk7's will not require the ECU to be opened... :)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I just hope the rumors that any visible tune from here on out on mk7's will void factory warranty arent true.

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
WTF. I want to know how the same engine gets THAT much more power without a bigger turbo. And if K04 for K04 is the same then I'm good with MK6. Although port flashes and LSD are soooooo enticing.

Another question, is the bottom end beefier for the MK7? A 300hp stage 1 tune is nuts. Gaaahhhh

Gti207

Ready to race!
WTF. I want to know how the same engine gets THAT much more power without a bigger turbo. And if K04 for K04 is the same then I'm good with MK6. Although port flashes and LSD are soooooo enticing.

Another question, is the bottom end beefier for the MK7? A 300hp stage 1 tune is nuts. Gaaahhhh

Yes! Other than valve lift what is the difference?? I don't read of a4s making 300hp stage one. Either it's been overhyped or there is another factor at play here.....

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Yes! Other thank valve lift what is the difference?? I don't read of a4s making 300hp stage one. Either it's been overhyped or there is another factor at play here.....

Internals? Any word if the turbo is the same, never really looked into that.

Gti207

Ready to race!
To be honest I'm content with my stage one as long as it could hold off an mk7. Plus I like the mk6 interior a bit better.

gtiw7

Ready to race!

simple, it's NOT the same engine period :) neither ko3 nor ko4. btw ko4 wouldn't fit that platform so far (i.e MK7)

update: stage 1 got between 320 and 330 now.... yes on pump fuel :)