GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: White tire lettering

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I had a few people ask me how I did the while lettering on my tires so i decided to make a DIY on how to paint your tire letters white. First off you will need the following:

• Cleaning product for tires
  • Paint Pen (I used a Sharpie Paint Pen)
  • Paint remover of some sort
  • Q-Tips
  • Patience

I got the Sharpie paint pen from Home Depot but I think any home improvement store should carry them or you can order them online. I did 2 sets of tires with just two pens so they do last quite a while. I list patience because this does take time and is tedious. It took me about 8 hours to do a set of tires over the course of two days.

The DIY is with my new set of Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Positions that i took my time with. I did a hasty job on my current set of PSS because I just wanted to see the end result knowing I would be getting rid of them within a week or so. I did paint the PSS mounted on the car and it is miles easier if you take the wheels off the car if possible.

A little bit of a disclaimer, I have only had them painted for a week or so. I honestly haven't even washed them yet so i have no idea whether or not it comes off with certain products. I have read that if you have previously used tire foam or shiner it does tend to come off faster or possibly crack the paint. I'd recommend giving your tires a good cleaning before applying the paint to get the tire as clean and free of any previous products that have been applied. Also, the Bridgestones have seated lettering and not raised like the Michelines which made it quite a bit easier. This is the end result with the Micheline PSS:

Step 1

Now onto the DIY. The tires I am using are brand new and did not have to be cleaned. I did use some brake cleaner on a shammy to clean up the PSS. Make sure they are clean as any dirt can get smeared around in the paint causing the letters to come out yellow and not pure white. Once you have given the tires a good scrubbing it's onto step two.

Step 2
Once the tires are cleaned take the paint pen and start coloring in any lettering you wish to be white. Do several coats or until you are happy with the color of the letters (I did 3 coats). It is okay if it spills a little onto unwanted parts as that is where step 3 comes in. This is my result and as you can see it's not perfect.

Step 3
Now you're going to get the Q-Tips and what ever paint remover you have. I just happened to have nail polish remover around the house and used that. It actually worked very well and didn't have a sickening smell to it which was a plus.

Take the Q-Tips and dab them into the paint remover of your choice. Note that the Q-Tip should be damp and not dripping wet. Then carefully go round the edges of the lettering removing any unwanted excess paint to clean up the lettering. This is tedious and takes time so be patient or you will screw up the letter and have to go at it again. The end result should look something like this.

I did go back and touch up the lettering to help give it a little more pop. That's why the final result looks more white than the shown picture.

Step 4
Once that is completed repeat these steps until all the lettering you want to be white is white. Then enjoy!!! :thumbsup:

This was the final result of my Bridgestones.

nik

Go Kart Champion
I've been thinking of doing this to dress up my winters for a while now to give it the rally look. It looks nice on the low pro set up you have as well. I think it depends on the placement of the lettering on the tires "the Bridgestone and potenza" in your case. Having the lettering on opposite sides balances it out nicely versus having it all on one side of the tire, which I think the stock pirellis have.

I've used a mcguiar's tire/wheel cleaner that comes in a purple spritz bottle which worked well when I was prepping my wheels for painting. Also works for tires. It smells quite bleechy and strong and isn't recommended for non OEM wheel paint. I'm assuming it will strip paint off. But as soon as i sprayed the tires brown stuff (brake dust?) started lifting off into the foam.
http://www.meguiars.com/content/global/product/4681_lg.jpg

I've seen some white wall touch up crayons for pretty cheap at the local auto parts store. Don't know how long it will last though but I assume it will yield the same effect. I think I will pick them up this weekend and do the winters up and see how they look.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Yeah Ive read that some of the paint pens dont last very long. It is brake dust/dirt. That's what i mean, try to get as much of it off as possible as that's what causes the yellowing and also dirties the tip of the markers. It should look really good on a winter setup though with the snow.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
Nice, i need to do this! :w00t:

Blake1090

Go Kart Champion
Nice this looks really good on your car!

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
Before

After

It looked so nice when I finished yesterday... I drove to work this morning and I guess they cracked, help?? Any clear coat sealant or something to help it stay down?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
You have to clean them really good to get all the dirt/grease/brake dust off. I used a SOS pad and gave them a good scrub down beforehand. This is what mine look like after a month and a half and about 1.5k miles. Also they might crack because of low tire pressure or the sidewall being too soft.

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
You have to clean them really good to get all the dirt/grease/brake dust off. I used a SOS pad and gave them a good scrub down beforehand. This is what mine look like after a month and a half and about 1.5k miles. Also they might crack because of low tire pressure or the sidewall being too soft.

My side wall isn't groved like urs and its raised, and I cleaned very well. Should I sand it slightly to add more groves?

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Did this yesterday to a fresh set of AS3's.

Shitty instagram pic but I can grab some better ones if anyone wants.

Did a light coat first, let it dry for an hour then two much heavier coats. Cleaned it up with acetone-free nail polish remover after everything was completely dry.

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!

Did a light coat first, let it dry for an hour then two much heavier coats. Cleaned it up with acetone-free nail polish remover after everything was completely dry.
Wow look really good!! I sanded the lettering so it has groves for the paint to stick to. Looks like its working better this way. I found it easier to use a wooden skewer or like a long tooth pick to get the extra paint off. Works good uploadfromtaptalk1435133853698.jpg

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
Sorry that was the first pic, this is better.

Sherlock997

Ready to race!

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Sorry that was the first pic, this is better.

Nice work! let us know how it holds up. When i did it with the PSS, the lettering was raised like yours and I didn't have any issues with cracking. I did have issues with cracking the first go round on the bridgstones but that was after i tried touching them up after they got messed up from being mounted.

I redid mine about a couple months ago cause i missed the look and did this budget racer build for sowo. haha