GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

drivers side drive axle boot is torn...?

Bouse

Ready to race!
So I just swapped my wheels back and there was grease all inside my wheel so I went to get my car looked at. Our family mechanic said the drive axle boot is torn which is why it's leaking. How expensive of a fix is this or will it be under warranty?

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
If you have warrenty, they will most likely replace it. If not, its really not a big repair and the parts are not worth even thinking about in costs, its all labour.

Bouse

Ready to race!
If you have warrenty, they will most likely replace it. If not, its really not a big repair and the parts are not worth even thinking about in costs, its all labour.

I've put on springs I don't know if they'll acknowledge my warranty

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
who put on your springs and how long ago? could have happened then.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Had this happen to me, at like 6000 miles or something, also after (but not right after) I went low on Super Sports......interesting. LOL

Anyway, dealer covered it under warranty with NO comment on my mods.

Bouse

Ready to race!
Had this happen to me, at like 6000 miles or something, also after (but not right after) I went low on Super Sports......interesting. LOL

Anyway, dealer covered it under warranty with NO comment on my mods.
interesting, maybe I should take it up rq and see what they say.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
99% probability the spring install is what damaged or weakened the boot. you'll be lucky if they fix it free since you are lowered. When i did my spring job, I put hella strain on those CV's, they almost popped out of the sockets.

Bouse

Ready to race!
I'm still new to this warranty thing, if I take it in and they deem it don't be converted under warranty am I going to have to pay then a fee just to tell me that?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It was just a dude that owns his own shop. I have no proof that he did it but it didn't start until after he did the work

same thing happened to me.. shop fixed it on their dime.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Warranty is dependant on where/how it tears (wear and tear vs. defect)

Very true, but if a dealer tries to say a CV boot failed after "normal wear and tear" at 6000 miles, they would likely get laughed out of court. OP has a 2014 so I doubt he has many miles on it either. Their only defense and out is "abuse" and they have to prove it. As with all mods, they can't just void the warranty, they have to PROVE the mod caused the damage. Haven't had a CV boot torn since so clearly not related to the springs.

I'm still new to this warranty thing, if I take it in and they deem it don't be converted under warranty am I going to have to pay then a fee just to tell me that?

That is correct, it's a risk you may have to fight, ect. Just to cover all bases have you talked to the shop that did the install about it? Maybe they did something and didn't realize it caused damage.

Just ask the mechanic, phrase it like "I just found my CV boot torn after the install, you guys didn't notice any grease or tears starting did you?" Better than flat out accusing them off the bat.

Any ideas if your dealership is mod friendly?