GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service - Outright Extortion!!!

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Local dealer quote me at around $760. 40k and DSG service.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I just had my 30K service on my vehicle done by my VW dealer. To my knowledge, this service will just run to about $175 to $200 but I was surprised to receive a bill for $320 something. I looked at their invoice and I found out that they flushed and filled the brake system. While this service was not included in the list of standard services under the 30K Maintenance Work in the VW manual, I just bit the bullet and paid for it because I know the benefits of flushing and filling the brake system and it was too late to back out of it anyway. But, I did tell them not to touch the cabin filter since I replaced it when my vehicle hit 25k. Just to let you know, when I checked my vehicle in for service, I did ask them for a run down of what they plan to do for that service interval. My SA went through the regular menu items for that service interval and that's why I told them not to touch the cabin filter. I signed the paperwork authorizing the service but didn't catch the work order for the Brake System flush and fill. My SA didn't mentioned it either. When I came back and picked up my vehicle that's when they hit me with a large bill. I just have to be smarter next time and be more thorough.

The moral of the story is that a lot of VW (and probably other brand) dealerships charge for extra services that are not really part of the scheduled service work. Next time I bring in my vehicle for service, I will ask them what kind of work they will perform on the vehicle and just get them to do the essentials. For example, at 40K, just get them to do the DSG flush and fill, Oil change, and other work that you cannot do on your own. Doing this will help keep your bill in check. I tend to do the simple stuff on my own such as replacing spark plugs or the cabin and engine air filters. If, for example, they want to do a brake system flush and fill and you feel that you don't need it, ask them to exclude it from the service. They'll try to get away and offer you a service that is above and beyond what VW (the factory) requires just to get extra business from you. Be informed, read your vehicle's manual and consider only having the essentials done. Anything beyond it may be just them squeezing you for more money.

You didn't drive your car enough (assuming it's a 2011 per your sig), as the brake flush or 30k would have been covered under VW's 3 year or 36K miles, bumper to bumper warranty.

Vroomer

Banned
You didn't drive your car enough (assuming it's a 2011 per your sig), as the brake flush or 30k would have been covered under VW's 3 year or 36K miles, bumper to bumper warranty.

He is Canadian, we don't get anything for free here, no free maintenance.
You Americans are lucky bastards.

plat

Ready to race!

Well, not exactly lucky. The US-market 'Free Maintenance' package is being offered together with their 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty deal. For us Canadians, we get a 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty but we pay for the regular maintenance. We, Canadians, are lucky too considering some of the known issues plaguing our GTI's such as water pump, HPFP, Air Intake Manifold, etc.

Fortunately, I only had to make a warranty claim for the Manifold, Variable Cam Actuator (can't quite remember if this is what they call it), and some other minor stuff.

plat

Ready to race!

In Canada, we do not get the free 3-year service but our bumper to bumper warranty is 4-years. So, we get to pay for all regular maintenance services.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
And free healthcare.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!

LOL

In Canada, we do not get the free 3-year service but our bumper to bumper warranty is 4-years. So, we get to pay for all regular maintenance services.

Aha, I see. Thanks for sharing that info.

misaka

Ready to race!
In a strange semi sad way, VW is making Audi look good lol.

They charged me 810$ for 4 years of maintenance, including DSG oil change, Haldex Oil change, spark plugs, motor oil, brake fluid and filters.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
In a strange semi sad way, VW is making Audi look good lol.

They charged me 810$ for 4 years of maintenance, including DSG oil change, Haldex Oil change, spark plugs, motor oil, brake fluid and filters.

So they charged you $810 for 3 oil changes + a 40k service. I didn't know plugs were due at 40k for that engine.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
TANSTAFL

Complimentary service is in the purchase price, might as well say you got a "free" engine. LOL Insurance is paid by taxes, stuff isn't free. QFT

misaka

Ready to race!
So they charged you $810 for 3 oil changes + a 40k service. I didn't know plugs were due at 40k for that engine.

I looked at the 2015 my schedule, Looks like plugs are 35k, then every 40k.
Audi service is 5,15,25,35,45. Brake fluid is every 2 years regardless of mileage. DSG is 35k, and haldex clutch fluid is every 3 years regardless of mileage.

5k service is complementary, so 4 oil changes, some minor filters, 1 big service 35k, and 2 brake fluid flush/changes... actually not that horrible for dealer pricing. As always DIY would be cheaper.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I looked at the 2015 my schedule, Looks like plugs are 35k, then every 40k.
Audi service is 5,15,25,35,45. Brake fluid is every 2 years regardless of mileage. DSG is 35k, and haldex clutch fluid is every 3 years regardless of mileage.

5k service is complementary, so 4 oil changes, some minor filters, 1 big service 35k, and 2 brake fluid flush/changes... actually not that horrible for dealer pricing. As always DIY would be cheaper.

That ain't bad ...

plat

Ready to race!
And free healthcare.

LOL! I wish it were free:D We pay for healthcare up here as well. It just feels like its free because some employers pay for it. Otherwise, I pay for my provincial healthcare. All other emergency medical, drug prescription, dental, etc. are paid by myself. Again, some employers will co-pay this extra insurance.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
That ain't bad ...

Manager also said 40K service included changing plugs too. IDK if its new or just trying to add more $$$ into it.

LOL! I wish it were free:D We pay for healthcare up here as well. It just feels like its free because some employers pay for it. Otherwise, I pay for my provincial healthcare. All other emergency medical, drug prescription, dental, etc. are paid by myself. Again, some employers will co-pay this extra insurance.

I was messing with you bro lol

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
ex·tor·tion
ikˈstôrSH(ə)n/
noun:
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.