GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Part #000051419 unboxing vid (VW / Helix Spare tire soundbox)

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Haven't had it installed yet, but I make a crappy unboxing video of the part and what comes with it coz I couldn't find one out there. If anyone is interested it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tnV4SUB1uM

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Yeah It's too big to fit in the spare tire, even if you could mount the spare upside down. Honestly I think this part will cause the loss of the spare in both the MK6 and MK7. The subs that are installed in the MK7 as part of the fender audio system are smaller, and from what I could see the sub housing is plastic, and they have them inside the spare so to speak.

This part is also pretty heavy, despite lack of components in the sound box itself. What ever wood or MDF or material that used to make it is very dense.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure it will sound good but losing a spare tire is a no go for me. I wish they could have made it smaller that way we can mount it inside the spare tire upside down.

Last edited:

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Yeah I know what you mean. Though honestly you're not losing much by getting a pump and a plug kit. Of course anything more severe and you're waiting on AAA.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
does it weigh more than the spare? how much did you get the sub for btw?
I actually haven't thought of the weight, but I will check it out. As to cost, MSRP is $660, but I found it new off of ebay for $410 (saw the price and I couldn't pass it up). The Dealership I'm going to (Cochran VW South Hills near Pittsburgh) is charging 1.5 hours for install and setup (so $150+).

sticksabuser

Ready to race!

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I actually haven't thought of the weight, but I will check it out. As to cost, MSRP is $660, but I found it new off of ebay for $410 (saw the price and I couldn't pass it up). The Dealership I'm going to (Cochran VW South Hills near Pittsburgh) is charging 1.5 hours for install and setup (so $150+).

o wow, $410 doesnt sound too bad.. i know a lot of people going to say you can build your own and sound way better, but i like this factory like integration

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
o wow, $410 doesnt sound too bad.. i know a lot of people going to say you can build your own and sound way better, but i like this factory like integration
Yeah I know, but one thing I DON'T lose with this setup is trunk space.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
So... Today I went to a dealership to have this installed. After having been quoted 1.5 hours labor, they came back to me saying it's actually 6 hours of labor since they had to install the harness through the length of the car (which I knew they had to do, but it sounds like they didn't). Sigh. So now I have to pull up carpet and panels and the glove box and route the harness ...

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
So... Today I went to a dealership to have this installed. After having been quoted 1.5 hours labor, they came back to me saying it's actually 6 hours of labor since they had to install the harness through the length of the car (which I knew they had to do, but it sounds like they didn't). Sigh. So now I have to pull up carpet and panels and the glove box and route the harness ...
dang sorry dude.
honestly, dealers have no clue when it comes to anything audio on any cars it seems. sorry man, i would just take it to a dedicated audio shop if i were you. if you feel you cant handle it i shall say. i used to do car audio for a living, and countless times i would have dealerships send me cars.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
6 hours? no it takes maybe 1 to 2 hours tops. and that's being generous

the only question is whether or not you can use vag-com to code it.....its all plug and play really

I cant believe Cochran really quoted 6 hours...... they seem to be one of the usually better vw dealers around here....