GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

TMos63

350 whp is where I'm at with an ATP manifold, stock fueling, stock intercooler, stock boost pipes with The Uni stage 3 sw at 20 psi. Easily 400 whp if I add fuel and some more boost.

It pulls hard on my friends apr ko4 v3.1, so hard I thought he kept letting off the gas as I was blowing past him.

What manifold are you using?
Stock manifold. Does Uni custom tune their big turbo tunes? That's what the guy from a Uni dealer said. If so can you choose how much power you wanna run?

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Stock manifold. Does Uni custom tune their big turbo tunes? That's what the guy from a Uni dealer said. If so can you choose how much power you wanna run?

what?!?!?! back up a little... stock manifold?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Right now I have a APR stage 2 intake, 3" straight pipe, Forge Twintercooler and Unitronic stage 2 software. From what I've read though people are saying that you should start building internals when you go stage 3 and up but I'm not looking to build the motor as of right now but I don't know if it would be safe to run the stage 3 software without built internals

I believe any tune is safe with any turbo on our cars with an EBC or MBC and the ability to log. You obviously are not going to get the PERFECT optimization of your turbo without a custom tune, but it'll work for your goals. I'm happy with mine, 25k miles later...

i'm glad you said it, because i was about to say the same thing. the tune is not ok without a lot of stuff to back it up. yes you have to be able to log, but that won't make it work. it will only show you why it's not working, and what you need to do to make more power out of it. a big turbo tune is optimized for your setup, point blank. using a different tune is half-assing it. if you can't do it right, wait. but you will definitely need an ebc/meth to make it work and timing adjustment to make a lot more power. and another tune to run bigger injectors if you choose to go that route. RGTI i know youre adamant about the route you took but it's just not that simple.

you cannot use the stock manifold. do more research. there are inexpensive ways of going big turbo, but you can't just swap turbos and go if that's what you're trying to do.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
what?!?!?! back up a little... stock manifold?

9 posts. uni stage 2. he's probably never seen his turbo before.

i also think it's weird that he thinks the tune is what increases power and running a stage 2 tune will keep it lower :confused: he needs to read up. or call some tuners and ask what they can support/recommend.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
The ECUs in our cars are smart. There really isn't a whole hell of a lot that gets changed from file to file. Why do you think RGs car runs without blowing up.

TMos63

9 posts. uni stage 2. he's probably never seen his turbo before.

i also think it's weird that he thinks the tune is what increases power and running a stage 2 tune will keep it lower :confused: he needs to read up. or call some tuners and ask what they can support/recommend.

First of all let me just say that I'm new to the VW world obviously, and I'm trying to learn and ask people their opinions and see what they're running and what they prefer and what I can do and what everything will do. That's the point of this forum correct? So I mean if you're not gonna say anything useful then don't even bother saying something. These guys are being nice and answering my questions and helping me out, you're not. You're just being a douche

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
First of all let me just say that I'm new to the VW world obviously, and I'm trying to learn and ask people their opinions and see what they're running and what they prefer and what I can do and what everything will do. That's the point of this forum correct? So I mean if you're not gonna say anything useful then don't even bother saying something. These guys are being nice and answering my questions and helping me out, you're not. You're just being a douche

The very first question you have to answer for yourself is what your budget is. Then you can look at your goals.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie

Then you need to be clearer with some information because half a dozen people reading your posts thought you were getting a great deal on a GT30 turbo only to install on a stock exhaust manifold haha.

You also have to take a bit of a ribbing from folks, I know I have but I've learned so much at the same time. :thumbup:

TMos63

Then you need to be clearer with some information because half a dozen people reading your posts thought you were getting a great deal on a GT30 turbo only to install on a stock exhaust manifold haha.

You also have to take a bit of a ribbing from folks, I know I have but I've learned so much at the same time. :thumbup:

I am getting a good deal. When he said manifold I just kinda thought of intake manifold. Not exhaust manifold so my bad for making that mistake. Money isn't an issue though. I make plenty off it. The whole point of me coming on here is to find out what I can do with the GT30 to keep it around 400hp or a little lower. I'm not looking to build a monster