GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
There's not so much hate for that one specific element of the build, at least from me. It's all of the things combined (no IC, k04, beyond gutted car, street driven, no safety devices, etc.).

Sure there are many ways to skin a cat but starting off doing it with a dull spoon is going to get you some flak.

I'm basing it off of every other comment blasting the no intercooler idea

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I'm basing it off of every other comment blasting the no intercooler idea

Sure, I guess this is a mix of opinions and totally different setups that gets that reaction. When you've got 3 liters of vr6 spooling just about anything it's a different world than a 2 liter I4. You get used to the idea of lag, and later spool, etc. where a VR can spool just about anything before 4k.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Sure, I guess this is a mix of opinions and totally different setups that gets that reaction. When you've got 3 liters of vr6 spooling just about anything it's a different world than a 2 liter I4. You get used to the idea of lag, and later spool, etc. where a VR can spool just about anything before 4k.

It was actually only 2.8 liters, and a 12v. 12v vr6's also don't have too good of flow, so coupled with a .98 t4 exhaust housing on a ball bearing turbo was typically around 4K for normal spool.

No intercooler and piping netting about 800rpm difference which is massive. Keep in mind the vr6 was nothing special normally aspirated considering smaller na 4 cyl often made as much or more power

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
It was actually only 2.8 liters, and a 12v. 12v vr6's also don't have too good of flow, so coupled with a .98 t4 exhaust housing on a ball bearing turbo was typically around 4K for normal spool.

No intercooler and piping netting about 800rpm difference which is massive. Keep in mind the vr6 was nothing special normally aspirated considering smaller na 4 cyl often made as much or more power

Bah I knew you were going to get me on the 2.8 12v, didn't assume it was a 24v but I was just throwing around numbers. I feel like VRs with a head spacer were made to work pretty well with non-ICd SC setups too. Maybe there's something to that, we are talking apples and oranges here engine wise.

I agree that 800 rpm difference is huge. It's nothing I'd want to try but I wonder what the difference would be on a 2.0t? TOP hangs a left after the A/C condenser and you flip the TB pipe around backwards, Bob's your uncle.

Who's up for some SCIENCE?!?! :thumbup:

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Bah I knew you were going to get me on the 2.8 12v, didn't assume it was a 24v but I was just throwing around numbers. I feel like VRs with a head spacer were made to work pretty well with non-ICd SC setups too. Maybe there's something to that, we are talking apples and oranges here engine wise.

I agree that 800 rpm difference is huge. It's nothing I'd want to try but I wonder what the difference would be on a 2.0t? TOP hangs a left after the A/C condenser and you flip the TB pipe around backwards, Bob's your uncle.

Who's up for some SCIENCE?!?! :thumbup:

There actually is no 3.0 vr6, 12v or 24v

Running a headspacer was never intended as a replacement for not using an intercooler. The headspacer lowers compression for more boost, doesn't do anything for heat which is obviously the purpose of an intercooler.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
There actually is no 3.0 vr6, 12v or 24v

Running a headspacer was never intended as a replacement for not using an intercooler. The headspacer lowers compression for more boost, doesn't do anything for heat which is obviously the purpose of an intercooler.

Ok I'm on board with all of this, but I don't need a lesson in VR motors or forced induction. No reason to fight a battle I was never in in the first place. :rolleyes:

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Ok I'm on board with all of this, but I don't need a lesson in VR motors or forced induction. No reason to fight a battle I was never in in the first place. :rolleyes:

Not trying to state the obvious but when you contradict something I say and give off random incorrect info, you inserted yourself in the discussion.

I was simply trying to help give you the correct info and reasons behind it doing it one way versus another.

kern417

Go Kart Champion

found it :)
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176512

kern417

Go Kart Champion
stop the butthurt just because you did the same thing. some people (majority) think differently. get over it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Not trying to state the obvious but when you contradict something I say and give off random incorrect info, you inserted yourself in the discussion.

I was simply trying to help give you the correct info and reasons behind it doing it one way versus another.

Are you stuck on the fact I tossed out "3 liters" as a broad engine size for a VR6, instead of knowing you had specifically a 2.8L 12V? Maybe yours was a 2.9 stroker, or a later 3.2L 24v. I'm talking generally about 2 totally different engines, exactly what version of that motor doesn't change the conversation.

My statement about VRs with head spacers was a light comment about how I remember seeing many vortech charged VRs back in the day. Yes, the head spacer is meant for higher boost and not to combat heat, but with more boost comes more HEAT, and the engines seemed to be relatively happy with that from the setups I remember.

That said I'm not carrying on a discussion with you if you want to micro-analyze petty details and semantics. You're right, I'm wrong, good day sir.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
stop the butthurt just because you did the same thing. some people (majority) think differently. get over it.

Are you stuck on the fact I tossed out "3 liters" as a broad engine size for a VR6, instead of knowing you had specifically a 2.8L 12V? Maybe yours was a 2.9 stroker, or a later 3.2L 24v. I'm talking generally about 2 totally different engines, exactly what version of that motor doesn't change the conversation.

My statement about VRs with head spacers was a light comment about how I remember seeing many vortech charged VRs back in the day. Yes, the head spacer is meant for higher boost and not to combat heat, but with more boost comes more HEAT, and the engines seemed to be relatively happy with that from the setups I remember.

That said I'm not carrying on a discussion with you if you want to micro-analyze petty details and semantics. You're right, I'm wrong, good day sir.

Wow some people have little to no knowledge on this stuff and I try to share what real world experience I have about it and why but no one wants to hear it and rather argue with incorrect info. Guess I'll bow out and be looking forward to everyone else's builds