GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI K04 Upgrade, Uprated Actuator? Which One?

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, exactly- whats the point in forums if we all just buy ready made kits at a vast amount of money and pay companies to fit them. We wouldnt need a forum..

It should be full of people doing it themselves, and helping eachother out.

Thanks for link. I will probably get gaskets etc from my local VW.

Im trying to find a supplier of a blank for the pcv outlet too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
My feelings were hurt by this thread because I just realized that I'm a "credit card tuner" :(

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My feelings were hurt by this thread because I just realized that I'm a "credit card tuner" :(
Right. Apparently were a bunch of bitches because we would rather pay the money for a kit that fits out the box and doesn't need any cutting or welding to make it fit and having to fabricate pipes.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Also to answer your question OP,

The throttle body pipe is not as restrictive as the discharge pipe(TOP). The stock pipe is fine. If you are planning on going water/meth injection they aftermarket pipes for the throttle body pipe usually have a bung or two on them for you to attach the meth nozzles.

Power wise you may gain a couple horsepower and improve spool by a hundred rpm or so.

The Discharge pipe is the biggest gain for power and spool up time out of those two pipes.

I doubt you would notice a difference between the stock Throttle pipe vs a aftermarket pipe for pipe.

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Eh, you guys can do what you like, i couldnt care less how you burn your money. BUT, if i (and others who have) want to do it ourselves and not waste money on something i can do myself, then i should be able to post and get helpful advice, not get treated like a bitch because i never just went out and splashed out (wasted money) on a ready to go APR kit.

All these kits actually save you, is cutting and welding the turbo outlet, and sourcing a silicone hose to fit. Worth £1400 extra? I wouldnt say so!

Ive ordered the Forge boost pipe kit so both will be changed to big/ full diameter and with a bit luck the silicone pipe will work with K04 with the adaptor removed.

bmc333

Ready to race!
Hats off to OP and others able to put together their own kits. If I had a garage, some more mechanically inclined friends and the time, I would have considered doing my own set up, if nothing else, for the fun of it! I love doing my own work but I'm limited by time and basically street parking (live in a townhome) so I went with a shop I know and trust to do the job in less than a day and bought a kit (on sale) from a company I've used repeatedly for 6 years that has always provided me excellent customer support when needed and has a rep for great software/tuning. Yes, that route IS more costly and less fun so my next home WILL have a garage or at least a driveway XD

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Hats off to OP and others able to put together their own kits. If I had a garage, some more mechanically inclined friends and the time, I would have considered doing my own set up, if nothing else, for the fun of it! I love doing my own work but I'm limited by time and basically street parking (live in a townhome) so I went with a shop I know and trust to do the job in less than a day and bought a kit (on sale) from a company I've used repeatedly for 6 years that has always provided me excellent customer support when needed and has a rep for great software/tuning. Yes, that route IS more costly and less fun so my next home WILL have a garage or at least a driveway XD

Perfectly acceptable in my book :thumbsup:

I've just moved house and i now have a drive and garage, it makes a big difference! I also work for a family garage business so i have easy access to ramps etc to make it 10x easier.

I have no problem with people buying bolt on kits and paying someone to fit it, but i would be insane to do that.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
In that extra 1400 you're also forgetting that it comes with a tune. Your pieced together kit does not. So there is easily another $500 and or $800 if you do with a open style software such as Mastero so you can adjust the tune as needed to your mods etc. so dont forget youre still gonna need to buy a tune in there. Plus most of these kits come with a warranty of some kind and support by the manufacture. I bet your pieced together kit doesnt. So yes ill spend an extra $600-800. For a product i know will fit, have my tune already done, and have a warranty/support staff to back it up. Plus i didnt say you had to go k04 from APR. CTS sells a generic k04 kit for the tsi so no modifying needed for like 900 less than APR.

And i didnt flame you until you became a bitch about when i asked why you were doing all this instead of getting a kit where you wouldn't need to, which is a general question. And you start popping off about how im not helping you and you have your damn reasons and i should
BTW i havent seen but 1 other person in the 3 years ive been on here modify a generic golf r k04 to fit. And all they did was bitch about it iirc.

You're obviously having a difficult time since you're flooding the forum with threads about the same thing over and over asking for help that 95% of the people on here havent even seen.

Its great that you wanted to do this all by yourself and do it cheap. I dont really give a fuck what you do to your car, but to start bitching at people when they ask why you didnt just buy something built for our car so you wouldnt have to do all this modification youre asking about.

Just explain to them you wanted to keep cost low and do it yourself and maybe you wouldn't get treated like a asshole. Just because someone ask why you didnt buy a kit doesnt mean they are attacking you about your build.

And if you didnt read i also answered most your questions in this thread and others, that dont pertain to the modification/cutting and welding of your outlet pipe.

Last edited:

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
The ONLY thing an APR Etc K04 has DIFFERENT TO A STANDARD K04, is a modified compressor housing and a silicone hose. I can do this for around £40 to my £350 K04 turbo.

Then i buy a Unitronic dv relocation kit at £170.

Then i pay £400 for a CUSTOM tune to my specific car, not a generic one.

Lets say £30 for nuts/ gaskets from VW.

Total cost- £990 including a better tune.

Im in the UK and can only get an APR kit at £2600.

So i save £1610 and have a better tune.

Id say id have to be pretty fucking stupid to buy an APR kit, wouldnt you?

Why do you need a warranty? The only thing i have without a warranty is the turbo anyway, which has a mere 26k miles on it, so no worries there. Infact, ive had more problems with new turbos than ive had with used ones anyway!

I can buy another 4 turbos before im even nearly worse off than a APR kit.

Why do you insist on being a twat? Its a forum... Im asking questions and advice on others experience as i believe others have done the same going by what they have said elsewhere..

Ive said before, im NOT trying to do it on the cheap, im just NOT paying £2600 for something i can do for £990, because i can have a fab shop tig weld a pipe on for me, and i can buy a silicone hose from Forge. Its not rocket science, and ill save a fortune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Gaz-M

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a forum... Im asking questions and advice on others experience as i believe others have done the same going by what they have said elsewhere..

And all i get from certain people, is shit for not just spending a fortune on an APR turbo kit. Why?

Thats nothing to do with what im asking, cant people just reply if they have anything of any help!!?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Well this has been fun.

fwiw I rebuilt a blown CTS kit for $1100. Just had to take the turbo apart and fit a new CHRA. Got basically a brand new turbo out of it SO YOU ALL ARE THE WANKERS.

[emoji38]

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Just another mad question here, but if you're in the UK, why don't you look at Revo's kit? They have headquarters in the UK. No one is saying you HAVE to buy from APR - we are just saying a lot of tuners already sell these kits ready to go and Revo is one of them who are right on your doorstep.

Then again, if you can find a brand spanking new K04 turbo for 360pounds, then sure, go for it! We sure as heck cannot find those turbos over here for that cheap. But then again, I'm a credit-card-tuner who would rather just spend a few bucks more and enjoy the car, rather than risking a DIY job that could result in a ruined engine.