GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Did anyone else find the COBB drop in filter to be too big? I had to arch mine into the air filter box. It was a super tight fit.

Does the AP back up my original VW tune when I installed my initial tune? Is there a way I can save this to my computer for safe keeping? The focus ST guys are saying that the AP doesn't actually back up the oem tune. I find this kind of concerning.

Last edited:

GTIMK6_

Ready to race!
Did anyone else find the COBB drop in filter to be too big? I had to arch mine into the air filter box. It was a super tight fit.

Does the AP back up my original VW tune when I installed my initial tune? Is there a way I can save this to my computer for safe keeping? The focus ST guys are saying that the AP doesn't actually back up the oem tune. I find this kind of concerning.

I personally don't think the ap backs up the oem tune. I flashed my car back to stock a while back and let it fully adapt (100 miles), and the car felt sluggish and not as responsive as before. Also with my tune I've been having a delay with the dsg shifts while using the paddles. I'm stage 1+ with cobbs intake.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I personally don't think the ap backs up the oem tune. I flashed my car back to stock a while back and let it fully adapt (100 miles), and the car felt sluggish and not as responsive as before. Also with my tune I've been having a delay with the dsg shifts while using the paddles. I'm stage 1+ with cobbs intake.

Yay so I'll be stuck with a less powerful car than I started out with ? Much regret, I need to stop messing with my car.

I also did a check about the knocking and I get max of -3 on all cylinders. Overall knock ret of -3.75 it has gotten a bit better since the initial flash.

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Lots of timing pull, looks like I'm not the only one.....
well generally speaking, -3 isn't always a bad thing. it just depends on when and the timing correction is happening whether it should be something to be concerned about. have you posted a log yet? if not upload one to datazap to share so we can see what's happening.
Yay so I'll be stuck with a less powerful car than I started out with ? Much regret, I need to stop messing with my car.

I also did a check about the knocking and I get max of -3 on all cylinders. Overall knock ret of -3.75 it has gotten a bit better since the initial flash.
i wouldn't say that. send to just need a couple things addressed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

JS12

Ready to race!
This is the Cobb intake, so it's a little mind-boggling.

I'll shoot you an email!

Have you checked to make sure your PCV is functioning properly? A faulty PCV could be related to your rear main seal leak and possibly other issues.

I had the COBB intake and had crazy fuel trims, timing pull, etc. and thought an airflow straightener resolved my issues, but they came back after a couple hundred miles of driving. I then noticed my PCV was leaking a tiny bit (oil on underside of engine cover) and I replaced it and swapped out the intake for the IE intake and all is well again. I'm terrible about being scientific and can't force myself to only change one variable at a time so I can't really say if the issues were with the intake or PCV, but it's worth checking out.

FWIW, the Stage 1 93 High Boost tune plays very well with the IE intake.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Have you checked to make sure your PCV is functioning properly? A faulty PCV could be related to your rear main seal leak and possibly other issues.

I had the COBB intake and had crazy fuel trims, timing pull, etc. and thought an airflow straightener resolved my issues, but they came back after a couple hundred miles of driving. I then noticed my PCV was leaking a tiny bit (oil on underside of engine cover) and I replaced it and swapped out the intake for the IE intake and all is well again. I'm terrible about being scientific and can't force myself to only change one variable at a time so I can't really say if the issues were with the intake or PCV, but it's worth checking out.

FWIW, the Stage 1 93 High Boost tune plays very well with the IE intake.

Ugh, this is exactly what I told my dealership when they replaced my rear main seal.

I literally pulled up, got out of the car and said I think I have a bad team main seal due to a faulty PCV valve. After three days they called to say I had a bad rear main seal, but did nothing about the PCV. I'm going to call them and ask to get my PCV replaced this time. I do have oil seepage under my engine cover along the edges of the crankcase as well.

Thanks!

JS12

Ready to race!
Ugh, this is exactly what I told my dealership when they replaced my rear main seal.

I literally pulled up, got out of the car and said I think I have a bad team main seal due to a faulty PCV valve. After three days they called to say I had a bad rear main seal, but did nothing about the PCV. I'm going to call them and ask to get my PCV replaced this time. I do have oil seepage under my engine cover along the edges of the crankcase as well.

Thanks!

No problem, I'd definitely get that taken care of and see about getting the valve cover sealant replaced as well if that looks like an issue. My dealer told me the oil seepage around the cover "wasn't that bad" before I finally convinced them to replace it after pointing out oil on the coil packs. :rolleyes:

I went ahead and just paid for a new PCV and the 2 hoses from ECS since I didn't want to mess with another trip to the dealer and the expected back and forth.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
No problem, I'd definitely get that taken care of and see about getting the valve cover sealant replaced as well if that looks like an issue. My dealer told me the oil seepage around the cover "wasn't that bad" before I finally convinced them to replace it after pointing out oil on the coil packs. :rolleyes:

I went ahead and just paid for a new PCV and the 2 hoses from ECS since I didn't want to mess with another trip to the dealer and the expected back and forth.

Taking it in tomorrow morning to get the PCV valve replaced and new sealant for the valve cover. The shop foreman agreed that he thought it may be the culprit as well.

Thanks! This is exactly what I told them the first time but these certified techs couldn't figure it out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I plan on posting some logs here later this week (or over the weekend). I just replaced my PCV thinking that was the culprit of some boost loss, but it doesn't appear to have been the issue so far. I'm pretty inexperienced at reading logs, so if someone could take a look when I post them it would be much appreciated.

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
Taking it in tomorrow morning to get the PCV valve replaced and new sealant for the valve cover. The shop foreman agreed that he thought it may be the culprit as well.

Thanks! This is exactly what I told them the first time but these certified techs couldn't figure it out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea, unfortunately most dealer techs are literally book readers. like if the computer doesn't tell them exactly what to do they are lost.

on one of my other cars many moons ago. i had the ring gear separate from the flywheel so the only way to start the car was by pop starting it. it was still under warranty. but I had some time so I pulled the starter to verify. when I dropped it the dealer I told them they will need to replace the flywheel

they call me back two hours later saying the tech looked at it and they are ordering the starter. i said....ask your tech if he looked at the flywheel. he says yes....

long story short. he never looked at the flywheel until he went to replace the starter and saw the ring gear came off the flywheel. so they called me twos later saying they are ordering the flywheel.

i told the service manager....i told you it was the flywheel when I dropped it off.
I plan on posting some logs here later this week (or over the weekend). I just replaced my PCV thinking that was the culprit of some boost loss, but it doesn't appear to have been the issue so far. I'm pretty inexperienced at reading logs, so if someone could take a look when I post them it would be much appreciated.
absolutely...post up a log. ill be happy to take a look. upload it to datazap and post the link here. or email whatever is easiest for you.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk