GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introducing Myself!

TallSkinnyMatt

looks nice tallskinnymatt

Thanks!! :happyanim:

Hi Matt, we seem to have the same taste in cars. The only thing I changed was to install a Hotchkis 27mm rear sway bar to get the car to be more neutral. I still attend BMW GTGs and often surprise my old Bimmer buddies chasing after them in my Golf with "skinny tires".

That's awesome! The Golf is surprisingly very zippy. I have more fun with it than I had with my old E46. It may be because it is manual, but still very fun car ;)

Welcome to the club!

Can't wait to see it progress! The 2.5L community is small!

Thank you! I really love the 2.5L. I haven't driven a GTI so I can't compare, but i'm loving this thing!! I'll keep you posted when more mods are installed.

I'm reinstalling my mid-muffler since the wife is not too happy with the drone :cry: :bellyroll: So back to a quiet car unfortunately. Thought about removing the front resonator, but heard that can be raspy. I'm planning to do a full paint correction in the next coming weeks since the paint needs some love. Then looking to pick up some VWR springs, TDI fog lights, and GTI side skirt trim soon. I de-badged the car today, and installing tinted side markers and a GTI steering wheel this weekend :thumbsup: I'll post more pictures up once the rest of the mods are in!

beygan

Ready to race!
First of all welcome. Nice to see the tasteful modding on your golf. Your BMWs look amazing; they're probably how I would like mine to look like if I had one. I remember driving my friend's E92 M3 back when he first bought it in 08. That car is a monster on the straights! Only driving around the block I only imagined knowing M3s are well reputable performance cars with exceptional handling.

As for your Golf, my initial thoughts were about your choice in model. Not GTI? I figured it was a matter of economical performance. Good color choice. I sometimes wish I bought a black GTI instead of my Candy White 2 door. But I'm happy.

Again, welcome, and congratulations. Don't forget about the aftermarket LED bi-xenons; those are a must if you don't have particular interest in the halogen design.

By the way, I have a set of side skirts that you might be interested in. They're brand new, Golf R R20 side skirts, factory painted in your color. Still in original packaging. Let me know if you're interested!

Last edited:

TallSkinnyMatt

First of all welcome. Nice to see the tasteful modding on your golf. Your BMWs look amazing; they're probably how I would like mine to look like if I had one. I remember driving my friend's E92 M3 back when he first bought it in 08. That car is a monster on the straights! Only driving around the block I only imagined knowing M3s are well reputable performance cars with exceptional handling.

As for your Golf, my initial thoughts were about your choice in model. Not GTI? I figured it was a matter of economical performance. Good color choice. I sometimes wish I bought a black GTI instead of my Candy White 2 door. But I'm happy.

Again, welcome, and congratulations. Don't forget about the aftermarket LED bi-xenons; those are a must if you don't have particular interest in the halogen design.

By the way, I have a set of side skirts that you might be interested in. They're brand new, Golf R R20 side skirts, factory painted in your color. Still in original packaging. Let me know if you're interested!

Thank you for the kind words! The M3 is definitely a beast to drive. Been three years and I still don't have plans on replacing it. As for why the 2.5L over the GTI? It really all came down to value and cost. I knew I was going to be driving a crazy amount when I first bought it and I was right! I put 40k miles on the golf since I picked it up last April! Bought it with 60k miles, not i'm just over 101k. Since I did get a great deal on it, the KBB value only went down around $500 even with all the additional mileage. If I had purchase a GTI (and the cheapest I found was more than double the price of the 2.5L), the value would have dropped significantly more with the additional mileage. Pus i'm averaging 34mpg, which is much better than the 16mpg I get on the M3 :bellyroll: It may not be as fun as a GTI, but it gets the job done :)

Oh awesome! The R20 side skirts would look great, but i'm guessing they cost a pretty penny. I appreciate the offer though! :thumbup:

BTW, I would be more than happy to trade you my black golf for your white GTI if you really love the color ;)

TallSkinnyMatt

Just installed the tinted side markers! I think it turned out great. Much better than the orange :) Also debadged the car as well! (don't mind the dirty car). GTI steering wheel should be arriving today. Will likely install it Monday.

Last edited:

TallSkinnyMatt

GTI steering wheel installed! Definitely an upgrade over the standard 2.5L wheel. Looking to get a blank lower trim piece that doesn't say "GTI" but having a hard time finding one. Pics below!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
so you've taken a golf... and almost entirely made it look like a GTI. :cool: :confused:

TallSkinnyMatt

Welcome aboard, nice progress so far. :thumbsup:

I agree! Looks way better with the dual pipes!

Thanks guy!!

so you've taken a golf... and almost entirely made it look like a GTI. :cool: :confused:

Yes sir :happyanim: I already have a fun car... I just needed a daily beater since I drive a TON for my business. No need to spend the extra money for a GTI, but might as well make it look just a little better. Plus, even with all the mods, I've spent less than half of what a GTI would cost me ;) :cool:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks guy!!

Yes sir :happyanim: I already have a fun car... I just needed a daily beater since I drive a TON for my business. No need to spend the extra money for a GTI, but might as well make it look just a little better. Plus, even with all the mods, I've spent less than half of what a GTI would cost me ;) :cool:
oh wow what did you get the golf for? Im seeing GTIs go for like 8-10k in my area.(like an equivalent to my 2011... 2014s are going closer to 13/15k.

davserbic

Ready to race!

Thanks guy!!

True. Not everyone needs a GTI nor will it fit everyone's needs.

My 2.5L is my daily and gives me so much joy and fun each and every time I sit in to drive it. I turn more heads in it than your average GTI on the road, at least in my area. Sure I'll lose in a street race against most VW's if I try, 100%, but amongst enthusiasts and adults it gets the same love. It's zippy enough on the highway that you can pass and play with ease and lack of turbo makes it fairly reliable and easy on gas. Really, its what YOU want out of it. Great car to learn VW's on with half the risks.

Overall, a solid win for half the value of a GTI.