GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me out guys. New with this car.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Hey guys, first post. So I'm absolutely loving my new (to me) 2010. The engine pic I'm showing shows a dirty engine, but this car is SUPER clean. I'll post more about it when I have time. Anyway, I had the CEL light come on the other day briefly then disappear. The car has a Stage 1 APR tune and has been running a little differently from when I got it about 1000 miles ago. I opened the hood and noticed a vacuum line with no hose. Can you please tell me what the line goes to, and if you think it may have been what caused the light? Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you guys!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nothing, it's untapped (from the factory)

You "could" tap it with a boost tap, by drilling into it, but it is NOT a used port on a stock North American GTI

Scan the car for codes and that'll help you out more though :thumbsup:

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Cool! Thanks bud. I'm thinking about buying that cable/software that allows you to make changes like opening the windows with the remote, but I need to learn a lot more about it before I buy. That software (sorry, I can't remember the name) scans codes as well, right?

I'm not sure why it's running differently. Maybe it's just me learning how to drive it better. The tires were spinning through first and second gears at first (relearning, I've never owned a turbo car either, just roots superchargers) and sometimes the car feels super anemic in first until it spools up.

Aside from scheduled maintenance what else should I be doing? The car has about 108k miles and is equipped with the 6 speed manual transmission. If I'm missing an obvious thread I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks guys!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Roots blower? Sounds like you came from the MINI world. I owned a 2006 MCS for 9 years & they do feel different. With the blower being crank driven there is little if any lag although having it be crank driven costs you a bit of power.

To me the turbo on the GTI has little if any lag, but that could be my driving style. I'm not a mash the gas from a stop kind of guy. When I first got my GTI it did feel different, but with time & miles I have acclimated to it. Knowing what I know now I could never go back to a MINI.

Enjoy your new GTI.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Ha! Awesome answer, but no MINI for me. I like the little buggers, but I can't see myself in one of those, or the other "cute" car that I love from afar, the Fiat 500. I was coming from an SVT Lightning with just over 20psi. I'll miss the truck and its instant power, but I've never had a vehicle as fun to drive as the GTI. I moved from a mostly flat ag County to the Bay Area in California. The truck made far less sense, and the small car makes plenty. I asked the previous owner why he was selling this car and his wife pulled up right then in their brand new R. :)

If you are still with me, I have one more question. When I start the car from cold it makes a sound a split second before the starter engages. Hard to describe, but I'd say it's a whooshing sound. Is this normal?

Thanks as always.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Ha! Sure called that one wrong. I'm not a pickup guy & had forgotten about the SVT Lightning. Now I understand the difference in the feel for you. You had a ton & a half of instant torque, not so much now with a GTI. You will be able to corner better in the GTI.

As for your sound, my car doesn't make that sound. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Indeed, the truck felt heavy and brutally powerful at the drag strip. Spinning the rear meats was fun where I find myself being careful not to spin the tires on the car simply because it's not a pleasant sensation. The suspension in the GTI is fantastic and really tossable! I can zip in and out of traffic on the freeway like nothing. My bike is like that too, but I feel much safer (and am!) in the car. It's the perfect city car and even tourer. My family is spread out all over California and the seats make the long drives pleasant. I was just telling my friend that I'm going to drive the wheels off this car and then buy another one.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
I tried to capture the noise on my phone but you can't hear it. :(

So! Instead I took some pictures. [emoji14]

I know next to nothing about stereo stuff, but this single sub hits harder than my old 12's. It's a JL Audio W6? And the amp is the same brand. The rest of the speakers are JL as well, but I don't know which models. Stock head unit but it has some box by the amp that has a Bluetooth module to control EQ by app on my phone. Weird. The install is insanely clean too. The previous owner obviously went first rate.

I kinda hate the navigation and just use Google maps. Can I upgrade the head unit to a newer model?

God I love this car.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Oh I found some pictures of the stereo stuff. What is the box that isn't the amp? What does it do?

Also, can someone explain what canbus is, or maybe there's a primer somewhere?

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Oh I found some pictures of the stereo stuff. What is the box that isn't the amp? What does it do?

Also, can someone explain what canbus is, or maybe there's a primer somewhere?

Ok the Jl amp looks like a 3 channel from here if am not mistaken . Meaning you have 2 channels for mids and highs and 1 channel for the sub. You are running a digital mosconi processor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
If that's a true 5 channel amp there's a good chance you're sub is still underpowered and not at it's full potential. Had a 13.5" W6 in my old car and broke 3 mirrors off. Now I "downgraded" for the GTI to a 10" TW3. That shit is stupid loud and clean for a shallow mount sub.

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Yeah, I had those square subs (forgot the brand) in an aftermarket enclosure in my Lightning and they hit but this little sub is amazing. I can literally feel the sound pressure from the front seat. I've had the back packed with luggage and the door speakers are great, that sub though... I'm sure a 13.5" would hurt my head after a while! I'm very much a punk fan but if you need some excellent clean bass may I suggest anything by Run the Jewels? Hip Hop, but for me it's the good non-bullshit stuff.

Anything you guys recommend music wise? I love pretty much every genre. CD's seem to sound cleanest, but I'm really grateful to have bluetooth and auxiliary in too.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Oh, what does a digital processor do?

Makes the signal going to the amp cleaner , and 4 channel to a 6 channel output so you get 2 extra outputs. Thing is not cheaper either . You can run analog , digital signal as well. I think that little processor goes for 600-800 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk