GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Noise ID Help

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
2012 GTI. 55K total miles. Roughly 35K with DG springs and 034 strut mounts. 10K with Koni orange shocks (stocks had slow leak). Tyrolsport deadset kit. Energy Suspension dogbone mount insert. WALK kit.

No sign of noise until this past weekend. Noise quickly became as regular as road noise. Can be heard over radio. Happens on rough or fairly smooth roads while going straight or turning. Steering feel and performance feels pretty normal although I haven't pushed any corners.

So far I've re-tightened the front end link bolts and the 3 strut mount bolts on both sides. Shook the end links by hand but couldn't make the noise happen.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
same boat. same noise over slightly uneven surfaces

for you it still could very likely be the endlinks. you will not be able to make them make the noise by hand even if their bushings are very worn. my endlinks seemed quiet and tight when moved by hand and it still ended up being the cause of that noise at one point. now 30k miles later im getting the same noise again but have replaced all endlinks in the last couple months so doing the top hats (strut top mount bushings) next as that seems the next logical conclusion for other members i trust here.

edit- also did you see the dude a couple days ago with a similar noise that ended up being worn exhaust hanger?

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
same boat. same noise over slightly uneven surfaces

for you it still could very likely be the endlinks. you will not be able to make them make the noise by hand even if their bushings are very worn. my endlinks seemed quiet and tight when moved by hand and it still ended up being the cause of that noise at one point. now 30k miles later im getting the same noise again but have replaced all endlinks in the last couple months so doing the top hats (strut top mount bushings) next as that seems the next logical conclusion for other members i trust here.

edit- also did you see the dude a couple days ago with a similar noise that ended up being worn exhaust hanger?

I did see that thread yes. I checked my downpipe hanger and it looked fine. I did forget to take a peek at my engine and transmission mount while I was down there though. I suppose I can pick up some new end links and strut mounts. Not ultra pricey fixes. I'll sit and wait for a few more opinions first though.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Most commonly a bad endlink. Could also be a loose bolt somewhere. Less likely culprits are the ball joint and tie rod end.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
My guess is the 034 strut mounts, which are known to make noise (swap them out for some TT mounts instead)
OR double check the top nut on the mount itself too & make sure it's tight

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
My guess is the 034 strut mounts, which are known to make noise (swap them out for some TT mounts instead)
OR double check the top nut on the mount itself too & make sure it's tight

Going to try replacing the front end links first since they're a cheap fix. If that fails, I'll give the strut mounts a shot. Did a quick search and TT mounts should be part # 8J0 412 331 right?

https://shopdap.com/store/8j0-412-331.html

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Update: Swapped the driver side (definitely where sound is from) end link. Drove around the block and noise was still there. I'll try the changing the strut mount next with a TT one that snobrdrdan linked above.

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Update: Swapped the driver side (definitely where sound is from) end link. Drove around the block and noise was still there. I'll try the changing the strut mount next with a TT one that snobrdrdan linked above.

I, by no means, have extensive knowledge on this. But from what it sounds like, the most likely and well known issue is the mounts. However, I do remember reading a post on here from someone about a similar noise and it was being caused by something to do with the calipers.... maybe the carrier bolt. Not 100% sure what it was. I will see if I can find it.

Edit:
I found the link, but don't think it will apply to you. It had to do with Tyrol brake bushings....http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55250
Still think the 034 mounts are most likely the issue though.

Last edited:

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I, by no means, have extensive knowledge on this. But from what it sounds like, the most likely and well known issue is the mounts. However, I do remember reading a post on here from someone about a similar noise and it was being caused by something to do with the calipers.... maybe the carrier bolt. Not 100% sure what it was. I will see if I can find it.

Edit:
I found the link, but don't think it will apply to you. It had to do with Tyrol brake bushings....http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55250
Still think the 034 mounts are most likely the issue though.

Hmmmm. I do have the Tyrol brake bushings on my car too. Roughly 10-15k on them at this point. Thanks for the link and thoughts!

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Updating this thread in case anyone runs into the same noises.

- Swapped the driver side end link with a brand new one. Noise remained.

- Replaced 034 strut mounts (~30K miles) and bearings with new TT strut mounts (thanks for the link to discounted parts snobrdrdan!) and bearings. Also replaced passenger side end link to match the driver side. All noises have stopped and car feels super firm and responsive again! Not sure it's ever felt this good ride wise ever since I first lowered with the DG's. I guess the strut mounts made more of a difference ride quality wise than I thought.

034 mounts look ok from quick eye inspection. I'll try cleaning them up and seeing if anything is obvious as to why they were making that loud noise.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion

- Replaced 034 strut mounts (~30K miles) and bearings with new TT strut mounts (thanks for the link to discounted parts snobrdrdan!) and bearings. Also replaced passenger side end link to match the driver side. All noises have stopped and car feels super firm and responsive again! Not sure it's ever felt this good ride wise ever since I first lowered with the DG's. I guess the strut mounts made more of a difference ride quality wise than I thought.

034 mounts look ok from quick eye inspection. I'll try cleaning them up and seeing if anything is obvious as to why they were making that loud noise.
Thanks for the UPDATE I was going to purchase the 034 Mounts for my new Konis. BUT if I had, ...has anyone tried putting some copper anti-seize on the bearing surfaces?

RingBredGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
So I bought the attached strut mounts to go with my Eibach springs and Koni STR.T's... Hopefully these will be good!

Attachments

• 20170607_090552.jpg
    20170607_090552.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170607_090612.jpg
    20170607_090612.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 125

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

*cough, cough*
Told ya :D

(post #5)

Thanks for the UPDATE I was going to purchase the 034 Mounts for my new Konis. BUT if I had, ...has anyone tried putting some copper anti-seize on the bearing surfaces?

Grab some TT ones instead, seriously.
They're even cheaper than the 034 mounts too

The strut bearing is sealed...there's nothing to lubricate. And when your suspension is installed properly with new parts, won't make any noises

So I bought the attached strut mounts to go with my Eibach springs and Koni STR.T's... Hopefully these will be good!

Honestly, I would've gone with & recommend the TT mounts like the OP did (so you don't have noises/issues) to go with the (new) stiffer springs & dampers

See if you can exchange them

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
^^^ listen to this man! Car continues to drive amazingly after swapping to TT strut mounts. Nevermind the noises, the ride quality is so much more OEM like which is a huge plus for me being 90% daily driver mode.