GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage one vs Stage two

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
For those of you who have experienced stage one, and then went to stage 2, what are your thoughts on it. Is it seat of the pants faster? I went to my Apr dealer for a while yesterday and he had an Apr downpipe in there and it was pretty dang nice. He definitely got me thinking about going stage 2.

FriggenT1

Banned
If you know what you want power wise, just get it, whether stage 1, 2, k04 or more...theres little sense in wasting money on less power if you're gonna want more.

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
I would shoot for the downpipe. Like stated above, if you're going to want more power down the line you'd want to have a good downpipe.
I went stage one and a few months later the stage 2 bug hit me..
I enjoy stage 2 much more then stage 1.

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
I would shoot for the downpipe. Like stated above, if you're going to want more power down the line you'd want to have a good downpipe.
I went stage one and a few months later the stage 2 bug hit me..
I enjoy stage 2 much more then stage 1.

How much different is it that stage one as far as how the power comes on? Also, what downpipe did you go with?

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Honestly, Stage 2 is not a hell of lot stronger then Stage 1. You'll net like 20 more hp and a bit more trq. It will pull harder up top towards redline because of the extra room to breath with the DP. You'll lose a little on the low end but gain on the high end as far as pull.

If you know you're going to want the extra bit of power and trq then go right to stage 2. However its not a monumental difference in power.

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
fast2ghl summed it up. ^

I enjoy stage 2. I'm going ko4 one day but as of right now stage 2 and its perks sit well with me. I enjoy the extra grumble and noise that came with the downpipe :)

I live in CA so I went with the AWE down-pipe w/ a cat. The dp doesn't shoot up a CEL so its easier for me to pass emissions out here.

A3-Owner

Ready to race!
Real World Results

My A3 has the same motor. Dyno'd car before and after installing the down pipe and going APR stage 2 from APR stage 1. Gained about 20 HP and 30 Torque.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
fast2ghl summed it up. ^

I enjoy stage 2. I'm going ko4 one day but as of right now stage 2 and its perks sit well with me. I enjoy the extra grumble and noise that came with the downpipe :)

I live in CA so I went with the AWE down-pipe w/ a cat. The dp doesn't shoot up a CEL so its easier for me to pass emissions out here.

still fail on visual though unless you get lucky

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
For those of you who have experienced stage one, and then went to stage 2, what are your thoughts on it. Is it seat of the pants faster? I went to my Apr dealer for a while yesterday and he had an Apr downpipe in there and it was pretty dang nice. He definitely got me thinking about going stage 2.

I went from Stage 1 that I had flashed at 600 miles to K04 at 4000 miles. Stage 1 was great and really what the car should have been like from the factory. I was curious about Stage 2, but once the K04 became available, I figured I'd wait and go with that. I would do it all over again, too. Stage 1 is a ton of fun and if going through the hassle of doing a dp is on your radar, save your pennies and go with a K04.

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
budgetphoenix agreed! There is luck on my side. I feel as if the guy I go to just checks codes to be honest. lol Funny side story. The smog guy told me to put in my factory intake next time i go because it was "sucking" to much air and would make it not pass..
I have a neuspeed cbfa with secondary breather intake that is carb certified LOL :D

That just goes to show that he might not be checking things right lol However, I did pass. (Passed in Feb) I still have the cbfa dp so I'm not worried if i have to swap it.

Mk6_vic

Ready to race!
I would go straight to K04 if i had the chance from stage 1. You'll def save pennies.
All comes down on what you're trying to do bud

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I would go straight to K04 if i had the chance from stage 1. You'll def save pennies.

I went from stock to k04 and you definitely save money. For example my mechanic didnt charge me to install my downpipe or turbo outlet pipe when installing the k04. That alone is like 200-300 in savings if you do them separate. Same thing when i did my clutch kit. He only added a little more to install my LSD and didnt charge anything to do the rear main seal, Stainless steel clutch line, or steel fork shift links. So IMO it was definitely worth getting it all done at once.

Last edited:

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Its best to go k04 straight away if money saving is your concern, also it really helps to have a friend thats a certified vw tech (aka my buddy). He installed my k04 kit for $500 Canadian which is like $350usd (dealers locally charge $1200+ for this job). I already had all the supporting bolt-ons thou. Essentially you can go k04 pretty affordably if you're smart about it. I went through Stage 1+ - Stage 2 then K04 though as I did this over time.

FriggenT1

Banned
Its best to go k04 straight away if money saving is your concern, also it really helps to have a friend thats a certified vw tech (aka my buddy). He installed my k04 kit for $500 Canadian which is like $350usd (dealers locally charge $1200+ for this job). I already had all the supporting bolt-ons thou. Essentially you can go k04 pretty affordably if you're smart about it. I went through Stage 1+ - Stage 2 then K04 though as I did this over time.

Everyone local to me charges 500-650ish for k04 install.