GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud ticking noise, almost sounds like a bad belt/tensioner

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I noticed my car has a "loud ticking" sound coming from the cylinder head, if i had to describe what it reminds me of it sounds like a bad belt tensioner/belt. It sounds like its coming from the cylinder head but its hard to pin point because as soon as i get up close to the engine the sound of direct injection washes the sound away. But i can hear it about 2 feet away from the engine bay.

Long shot i know, especially without a video, any idea what it could be?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Nope, not the tensioner.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its not a regular DI tick. Could it be a injector on it way out? I put a flat head on cylinder 2 and listed to the noise the injector tick sounded louder/rougher than the other 3 cylinders. Are there any symptoms with failing injectors? I know one of them is being stuck open.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Its not a regular DI tick. Could it be a injector on it way out? I put a flat head on cylinder 2 and listed to the noise the injector tick sounded louder/rougher than the other 3 cylinders. Are there any symptoms with failing injectors? I know one of them is being stuck open.

Do you feel the loss of power? If one is shot you would have a rough idle as well. What tune do you have? How many miles?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
88k miles, no other symptoms the car feels fine. Stage 2 apr is my tune.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its coming from up top, its easier to hear in front/bottom of the engine when you get up close to the head the DI noise washes out the sound.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Its coming from up top, its easier to hear in front/bottom of the engine when you get up close to the head the DI noise washes out the sound.

Hmmm, it’s not the valves tapping either you don’t think? How’s your oil level?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Hmmm, it’s not the valves tapping either you don’t think? How’s your oil level?

i don't think its a mechanical noise like valves or chains. Oil level is good, its full .