GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most comfortable shocks ?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Lots of great folks on here with tons of experience swapping in/out different suspension mods. Lots and lots to read. I'm in the same boat looking for a suspension refresh. Still on stock set up after 257K and it's getting musssssshy. I have the VMR springs gathering dust in the basement as I don't know what struts/shocks to get however I'm leaning towards Koni Yellow's.. .with our Toronto roads/hwy's still pretty crappy I want to install and forget it even though I really want the Bilsteins.
Exactly ....

My OEM suspension just had that ridiculous wheel gap look .... Didn't like .... Although the OEM ride fine.

If only I could find a spring that was stock rate .... DG Mk6 springs apparently are softer than stock GTI springs but lower .... I would love clarification on this.

Now you live in Toronto so you know what it's like to have terrible roads .... If you like the height of your car I wouldn't touch it .... Unless they were maybe DG springs.

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I'm running 18x8 riding on 225/40.. I'm pretty sure i'm sagging as visually I'm sitting lower than stock.

Our roads are crap trying to drive around the holes in the 401 to keep my rims from bending, that's why I'm not really looking to go lower. If it happens it happens but I like my stock ride too.

The other thing to note is I'm also looking to beef up the bushings as well.. .Are you looking at TT bushings or going Poly?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Ya but they only have about 10,000 on them max

It’s not so much a matter of how much use they have as the degree of rebound damping needed to control a stiffer spring. Being nearly new definitely helps, but a stiffer spring decompressing against a strut with inadequate rebound means the fluid in the strut gets pushed harder and faster through the strut valving. A strut works in rebound by converting the kinetic energy stored by the compressed spring into heat. Pushing fluid through the internal strut valving faster means more heat and reduced strut life.

The stock struts might be fine for a while, and depending on the springs they might be fine for quite a long time, but I’d bet you’ll need to go back in to replace the struts sooner than later.

If you don’t want the hassle later do the struts with the springs, if you don’t mind digging back in and want to get the most out of what you have the stock struts should work for at least a short while.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running 18x8 riding on 225/40.. I'm pretty sure i'm sagging as visually I'm sitting lower than stock.

Our roads are crap trying to drive around the holes in the 401 to keep my rims from bending, that's why I'm not really looking to go lower. If it happens it happens but I like my stock ride too.

The other thing to note is I'm also looking to beef up the bushings as well.. .Are you looking at TT bushings or going Poly?
Ya I think the Mk6 GTI looks fine at stock height .... I've never really looked at one and thought 4x4

Im running poly but hopefully I change them out soon. I Have a pair of TT solid ones to install.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
I've been through many suspension setups over the past 5 years. It's been a costly experiment, but I can finally say I have found a great ride that balances ride comfort / handling / and wheel gap reduction.

The current VW DG springs w/ Koni Yellows rides like a dream compared to previous set ups that included combos of H&R sport springs, H&R SS springs, stock struts, Koni STRT struts, Koni FSD struts. The only draw back is that these springs are only a hair lower than stock but low enough for me at this point.

Wish I tried this set-up 5 years ago!

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I've been through many suspension setups over the past 5 years. It's been a costly experiment, but I can finally say I have found a great ride that balances ride comfort / handling / and wheel gap reduction.

The current VW DG springs w/ Koni Yellows rides like a dream compared to previous set ups that included combos of H&R sport springs, H&R SS springs, stock struts, Koni STRT struts, Koni FSD struts. The only draw back is that these springs are only a hair lower than stock but low enough for me at this point.

Wish I tried this set-up 5 years ago!
Ya I'm on setup 3 ....

Modded life [emoji1]

Did the DG springs make the big difference or the struts?

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
Ya I'm on setup 3 ....

Modded life [emoji1]

Did the DG springs make the big difference or the struts?

I think it all depends on the springs / strut pairing.

For me, the ride was pretty harsh when I paired the H&R springs with stock, Koni FSDs, or STR.Ts.DG shocks / struts. However, pairing H&R sports with Koni Yellows may have been a winning combo that I never attempted.

Either way, I'm relieved to finally have a compliant and comfortable ride.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I had DG springs with OEM shocks/struts and they were OK for the 1st 5k miles or so. Then it started getting a little mushy and rough. Then I had the DG springs paired with Koni STR.T (orange) and they were better. Now I have DG springs paired with Koni Yellows set to about half way and this is the best out of all 3 setups. Ride height is perfect for daily driving without being too low and worry about scraping everywhere.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The current VW DG springs w/ Koni Yellows rides like a dream

Now I have DG springs paired with Koni Yellows set to about half way and this is the best out of all 3 setups. Ride height is perfect for daily driving without being too low and worry about scraping everywhere.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Yes [emoji1].

I now know [emoji3] .... Next time I buy suspension stuff, there gonna be the yellows with DG.

I'm gonna hold out for a bit so that I don't waste anymore moneys. See how long I last before I change.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I ran koni yellows and eibach pro springs for a few years. Held up to track abuse and street driving. It was pretty smooth. The setup I have now is much more aggressive and harsh on the street.

Did you run the short bumpstops Eibach supplied for the rear struts? I have a set of Pro-Kits I’ll be installing this week over my Konis and I’ve debated between the supplied rear bumpstops or going with the 118 mm length VW “sport spring” stops that look like they have a similar rate progression curve as the stock bumpstops.

I’ll probably end up trying both, they’re easy enough to change.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Are DG springs even available anymore?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
DG springs are still available .... ECS tuning has them and I think VW still sell them.

I'm gonna call eibach Tuesday and discuss some options ....