GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What should I order? Going from stock to Konis

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

Hoping to get some feedback for what I should be purchasing.
This has probably been covered in other threads but I couldn't find consistent info.

So I'm planning to upgrade my suspension as I feel my ride is very harsh.
It still has stock suspension at 111k.

I only recently bought the vehicle back in November, so I'm unsure if this is harsher than usual or just the typical, the feel doesn't really bother me but it would make me more comfortable knowing that my suspension is in good shape.

So I'm planning to get new struts to replace the stock ones as I've heard people say these degrade overtime. Either Koni str.t or Koni yellows, this is solely daily driver atm, no plans to track.

I'm not planning at the moment to get new springs as I don't mind stock GTi ride height but I would like the option down the road. Would riding stock springs on Konis and then switching to lowering springs (<1" drop) affect them negatively?

Also is there any additional components/tools I need to buy for this transition/installation? I've heard upper strut mounts, anything else?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
The top strut nut is a pain in the ass or impossible without the right tools. There's a special socket you could get or a special wrench...I'm forgetting the names for both of those tools right now though...Unless you have air tools, that'll pop it right off/on.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Strut mounts, new bearings, and new bolts.

Adding lowering springs at a later date will not hurt anything on the konis.

You will need to buy a strut spreader for the front struts to get them out of the spindle. Other than that just basic hand tools

Perfect, thank you! Just compiling prices atm as don't wanna end up over budget because I forgot to account for something.

The top strut nut is a pain in the ass or impossible without the right tools. There's a special socket you could get or a special wrench...I'm forgetting the names for both of those tools right now though...Unless you have air tools, that'll pop it right off/on.

Thanks for the heads up.
I do have access to air tools if I have a tough nut.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Perfect, thank you! Just compiling prices atm as don't wanna end up over budget because I forgot to account for something.

Thanks for the heads up.
I do have access to air tools if I have a tough nut.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/strut-shock-installation-and-replacement-mk5-vw-tdi-and-audi-a3/

This is on an mk5 jetta but it is the same parts/proceedure. I used this when I did the struts on my 2010 golf TDI and it was the same proccedure when I put GTI suspension on my 2012 golf 2.5L.

You'll see the special wrench mentioned above but an angled box wrench will do the trick as well as long as the wrench is not to thick to fit in between the mount and nut. Also people say you can use a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter as a strut spreader. I tried but it was slightly too wide so I took a dremel and ground down two sides just a bit and it worked like a charm. I've replaced 3 sets of struts with it. Just a thought if you have a bunch of socket adapters lying around.

Never had an issue with the top nut but I always use PB blaster.

Also many people go the TT strut mount route. That's what I used on all mine and was always happy with the results. ECS sells them.

Last edited:

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for the link, have you used these ECS mounts?
Most people warn about ECS parts but I haven't heard of any failures personally.
Mostly its just caution because their interest may just be to sell products and not worry about longevity.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/strut-shock-installation-and-replacement-mk5-vw-tdi-and-audi-a3/

This is on an mk5 jetta but it is the same parts/proceedure. I used this when I did the struts on my 2010 golf TDI and it was the same proccedure when I put GTI suspension on my 2012 golf 2.5L.

You'll see the special wrench mentioned above but an angled box wrench will do the trick as well as long as the wrench is not to thick to fit in between the mount and nut. Also people say you can use a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter as a strut spreader. I tried but it was slightly too wide so I took a dremel and ground down two sides just a bit and it worked like a charm. I've replaced 3 sets of struts with it. Just a thought if you have a bunch of socket adapters lying around.

Never had an issue with the top nut but I always use PB blaster.

Also many people go the TT strut mount route. That's what I used on all mine and was always happy with the results. ECS sells them.

I've heard about the TT struts as recommendation.
I'll check them out.
Thanks for the link, very helpful and informative.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the link, have you used these ECS mounts?
Most people warn about ECS parts but I haven't heard of any failures personally.
Mostly its just caution because their interest may just be to sell products and not worry about longevity.

I'm running 034 Motorsports strut mounts and they are great. I have no experience with the ECS strut mounts but assume they would be fine if you are looking to do a refresh.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I ran my stock struts to about 100k miles, and mine were well past their use-by date at that time. I replaced them with Koni Sports and used the stock springs with ECS tops and FAG brand bearings. The Konis are fantastic budget performance shocks and the difference in performance and ride quality when compared to worn out stock struts is very easy to notice.

When you install the rear struts go with 3/4 turn to 1 full turn from soft on the adjustment. I've read somewhere that the Sports can handle stock springs on the lowest rebound adjustment and in my experience this is absolutely false in regards to the rear of this car. When I first installed mine I set them 1/4 turn from soft and it was like the rear springs had no rebound damping. At a low setting the rear springs will violently decompress mid corner and really unsettle the car in a bad way.

Ride quality on the stock springs is very good. I don't think they have the buttery smooth feel of the OEM Sachs struts (when they're brand new), but the extra rebound damping on the Konis is nice.

While you're in there have a really close look at the rear position control arm bushings on the front suspension. The stock bushings are super flimsy and at over 100k miles if they've never been touched they almost certainly need to be replaced. My recommendation would be to have a look at Audi S3 bushings, they're pretty easy to install and won't be as harsh as some of the polyurethane options; but if you want to sharpen up the steering, braking, and acceleration you may find the bit of extra NVH is tolerable.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I ran my stock struts to about 100k miles, and mine were well past their use-by date at that time. I replaced them with Koni Sports and used the stock springs with ECS tops and FAG brand bearings. The Konis are fantastic budget performance shocks and the difference in performance and ride quality when compared to worn out stock struts is very easy to notice.

When you install the rear struts go with 3/4 turn to 1 full turn from soft on the adjustment. I've read somewhere that the Sports can handle stock springs on the lowest rebound adjustment and in my experience this is absolutely false in regards to the rear of this car. When I first installed mine I set them 1/4 turn from soft and it was like the rear springs had no rebound damping. At a low setting the rear springs will violently decompress mid corner and really unsettle the car in a bad way.

Ride quality on the stock springs is very good. I don't think they have the buttery smooth feel of the OEM Sachs struts (when they're brand new), but the extra rebound damping on the Konis is nice.

While you're in there have a really close look at the rear position control arm bushings on the front suspension. The stock bushings are super flimsy and at over 100k miles if they've never been touched they almost certainly need to be replaced. My recommendation would be to have a look at Audi S3 bushings, they're pretty easy to install and won't be as harsh as some of the polyurethane options; but if you want to sharpen up the steering, braking, and acceleration you may find the bit of extra NVH is tolerable.

Good note, Ill probably follow in your footsteps here.
Assuming the bushings will be pretty straight forward to replace while changing struts.

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
IMO - if you're going to replace the rear position control arm bushings you should consider upgrading to Whiteline or SuperPro and take advantage of the added benefits of increased caster / anti-lift. I love my Whitelines and I'm very sensitive to suspension NVH.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-whiteli...control-arm-bushing-kit-rear-position/kca316/

It's like opening a can of worms. If you're going to replace these control arm bushings then why not drop your subframe while you're at it and replace your worn stretch bolts with TyrolSport deadset kit. This will really sure up the front end and improve your ride.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
OEM part number is 1K0513353G.
Thanks!!

IMO - if you're going to replace the rear position control arm bushings you should consider upgrading to Whiteline or SuperPro and take advantage of the added benefits of increased caster / anti-lift. I love my Whitelines and I'm very sensitive to suspension NVH.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-whiteli...control-arm-bushing-kit-rear-position/kca316/

It's like opening a can of worms. If you're going to replace these control arm bushings then why not drop your subframe while you're at it and replace your worn stretch bolts with TyrolSport deadset kit. This will really sure up the front end and improve your ride.

Aha it really is, I was just looking at procedure to replace bearings.
Ill probably save this job for another time, assuming my bearings don't look completely destroyed, since it can be done separate from strut installation.

I do want to do a deadset kit before I take it in for alignment.... so many things to do so little time. Still have engine/trans/pend mounts I need to swap and DSG service i need to do...