GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Costco vs shell gas

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Tried Costco gas on my GTI recently and noticed much lower mpg, 27 vs 32 with shell. I always use premium. Has anyone tried Costco premium and had better results? Maybe that's why Costco premium was $1.8/gallon compared to shell $2.7/gallon.

Thanks

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
This is worth reviewing https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ Like the "what oil should I use" threads you'll get a thousand different answers and opinions. I just try to keep it simple and go top tier 93 only and call it a day. I've had great experience with Costco myself on numerous cars, most of which were running 93 oct tunes. Just did a 1500 mile trip using a few different brands of top tier and MPG was identical from one to another, so seeing a roughly 15% difference as stated makes me think there's something else going on or you may have just gotten a bad tank which is possible. Hope the link helps.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
This is worth reviewing https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ Like the "what oil should I use" threads you'll get a thousand different answers and opinions. I just try to keep it simple and go top tier 93 only and call it a day. I've had great experience with Costco myself on numerous cars, most of which were running 93 oct tunes. Just did a 1500 mile trip using a few different brands of top tier and MPG was identical from one to another, so seeing a roughly 15% difference as stated makes me think there's something else going on or you may have just gotten a bad tank which is possible. Hope the link helps.
One difference is that the Costco is in Wisconsin (first time at this station) and the shell is in Illinois (the same one I always pump at)

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I use Petro and got an extra 50whp and 100mpg compared to using any other brand.

Seriously though, gas where ever you want, it doesn't really matter as long as you use high quality (91oct+) fuel from a reputable supplier. I actively avoid private retailers, but the odds are the gas is essentially all from the same source.

"top tier" doesn't mean much except that the retailer paid for that licensing.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not sure but tuned on (Recommend by my tuner) Shell 93. She runs 5.5* up top at right around 28 pounds with zero KR. Wonder what timing others see on Costco 93.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Not sure but tuned on (Recommend by my tuner) Shell 93. She runs 5.5* up top at right around 28 pounds with zero KR. Wonder what timing others see on Costco 93.

I run Costco 28psi on 5* with sometimes a touch of KR in 4th but nothing concerning.

When I upgrade the PUT sensor to turn it up my tuner wants me to switch brands, and I will be going back to Shell. It’ll be interesting to see the comparison.

I will say Shell 93 costs 44 cents more than the Costco 93 o_O

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
There are -way- too many variables to make any kind of determination from a single visit.

Granted, falling from 32 to 27 mpg is significant, but that is highly variable as well. I know for a fact that if I choose to, I can go out and get 220 miles from a tank and get about 20mpg, just from heating it up on the roads(driving fast).

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
There are -way- too many variables to make any kind of determination from a single visit.

Granted, falling from 32 to 27 mpg is significant, but that is highly variable as well. I know for a fact that if I choose to, I can go out and get 220 miles from a tank and get about 20mpg, just from heating it up on the roads(driving fast).
I hear you but I am driving even faster deliberately with the shell gas to make sure I give the benefit of the doubt to Costco.