GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At a loss... help!

sskeansaiden

Bought a ‘10 GTI with 72k on it. Want to slowly start making efforts towards a tune. However was thinking about bolt ons before hand and others as well. Wondering what exactly I should do before tuning it and what tunes are recommended? Sitting on about a 1,000-2,000 budget for now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Always feel a bit bad for anyone that buys a 2010-2011 gti with this many miles and wants to start modding it. You're going to have to read about the timing tensioner problems and decide for yourself what to do. If you're lucky the previous owner already took care of it. I had it done about 6 months before I traded in my mk6, so it can happen but it's probably not that common.

It's probably about a $1400 job if you can't DIY.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah get that tensioner checked out first. I'll just copy and paste what I said from another thread.

First step: Verify that the tensioner has been updated (Google how to DIY check it). If it has been updated check your timing chain stretch with VagCom or OBD11. If it has not been replaced start saving money before doing anything. Of course oil and other fluids if mileage is unknown on when they were done.

Second step: Start preparing for your tune.
  • OEM R8 Red top coil packs with NGK plugs.
  • Either replace the PCV with the updated one or replace the inside diaphragm with a beefier one.
  • GFB DV+ or people say if you have the latest revision DV you don't need it. I run one, it's great.
  • Tires. That extra power won't make it to the pavement unless you get some summer tires or good all season.
  • Delete the resonator for a cheap way to make it sound better.
  • Motor mounts, pendulum mount and insert to contain that torque beast after you flash it. I added these after tuning but at your mileage I'd consider doing them sooner.
Third step: Flash dat shizz stage 1 and enjoy the extra HP and torque.
Forth step: Get a CAI and down pipe as you save money. These are great things to buy used to save some money.
Fifth step: Flash stage 2.

Or skip the 3rd step and go stage 2. I was stage 1 for about a year before going stage 2. Now I'm working on K04.

Oh and are you DSG or manual? If manual you will need a clutch shortly after going stage 1 so save for that too!!! If DSG they say a tune is nice to have along with an engine tune but I don't think it's needed.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Tensioner $1k - $1.6k > Carbon cleaning $200ish? > Suspension $500-$2000 depending on long term goals > Brakes $500ish > Tires/Rims $1500ish > Tune $500-$2000 depending on goals and tranny. :)

Modding isn't cheap, but you gotta pay to play. Also 'r8 coil packs' aren't necessary as they are really no different than OEM. So don't fret if you can't find em or someone like me recommends oem. They do look cool though. (I have them lol).

Last edited:

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah get that tensioner checked out first. I'll just copy and paste what I said from another thread.

First step: Verify that the tensioner has been updated (Google how to DIY check it). If it has been updated check your timing chain stretch with VagCom or OBD11. If it has not been replaced start saving money before doing anything. Of course oil and other fluids if mileage is unknown on when they were done.

Second step: Start preparing for your tune.
  • OEM R8 Red top coil packs with NGK plugs.
  • Either replace the PCV with the updated one or replace the inside diaphragm with a beefier one.
  • GFB DV+ or people say if you have the latest revision DV you don't need it. I run one, it's great.
  • Tires. That extra power won't make it to the pavement unless you get some summer tires or good all season.
  • Delete the resonator for a cheap way to make it sound better.
  • Motor mounts, pendulum mount and insert to contain that torque beast after you flash it. I added these after tuning but at your mileage I'd consider doing them sooner.
Third step: Flash dat shizz stage 1 and enjoy the extra HP and torque.
Forth step: Get a CAI and down pipe as you save money. These are great things to buy used to save some money.
Fifth step: Flash stage 2.

Or skip the 3rd step and go stage 2. I was stage 1 for about a year before going stage 2. Now I'm working on K04.

Oh and are you DSG or manual? If manual you will need a clutch shortly after going stage 1 so save for that too!!! If DSG they say a tune is nice to have along with an engine tune but I don't think it's needed.
As this man said to me timing chain and tensioner replacement is first. 👍

Patrick O

Assuming the basics are in order as others have said, in my experience best bang for the buck is a cold air intake and Stage 1 tune. Just did both to my MK6 Golf R for just a bit over $1K. Money very well spent. You may need new plugs and coils once you do that depending on when they were last changed and if the coils were updated to R8 coils.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
i just want to add my 2 cents on the timing tensioner cost. Not sure why you guys are saying 1k to $1400 for a tensioner replacement? Thats the cost of a whole timing chain replacement (just paid $1100cad parts and labour) to a really good vw shop. the replacement tensioner is about $100 on urotuning and only costs around $300 to install

its actually on sale for almost half off

https://www.urotuning.com/products/...y-models-check-fitment?variant=31490887876663

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
i just want to add my 2 cents on the timing tensioner cost. Not sure why you guys are saying 1k to $1400 for a tensioner replacement? Thats the cost of a whole timing chain replacement (just paid $1100cad parts and labour) to a really good vw shop. the replacement tensioner is about $100 on urotuning and only costs around $300 to install

its actually on sale for almost half off

https://www.urotuning.com/products/...y-models-check-fitment?variant=31490887876663

Because I wouldn't do the tensioner without also doing the chain. That just doesn't make sense. Especially at the age the car is at and you have no idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner did or if they did their oil changes on time. You can check the chain stretch, but I wouldn't even bother if I was already planning on doing the tensioner, just do the chain too.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Because I wouldn't do the tensioner without also doing the chain. That just doesn't make sense. Especially at the age the car is at and you have no idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner did or if they did their oil changes on time. You can check the chain stretch, but I wouldn't even bother if I was already planning on doing the tensioner, just do the chain too.

ahhh i see, i just wanted to clarify for new people that would be reading this thread thinking just the tensioner is 1k+. it can get confusing reading through these threads sometimes

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
ahhh i see, i just wanted to clarify for new people that would be reading this thread thinking just the tensioner is 1k+. it can get confusing reading through these threads sometimes

You're right. I definitely could have been clearer.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, Sterkrazzy is definitely right; once you're in there, why only do the tensioner? Everything's already apart, might as well replace it. There's a new updated chain available now as well, supposedly less prone to stretch.