GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat back or muffler delete?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I currently have an eqt stage 2 tune along with a CTS Turbo catted downpipe. It has volume but I'm itching for a bit more from it. Wish it was a bit louder and deeper. I've heard mixed reviews about both a cat back and a muffler delete and I read the "get the right sound from your exhaust" thread here and I still am trying to figure out the honest difference between the two when it comes to sound levels and pitch. Which do you guys recommend and why?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I currently have an eqt stage 2 tune along with a CTS Turbo catted downpipe. It has volume but I'm itching for a bit more from it. Wish it was a bit louder and deeper. I've heard mixed reviews about both a cat back and a muffler delete and I read the "get the right sound from your exhaust" thread here and I still am trying to figure out the honest difference between the two when it comes to sound levels and pitch. Which do you guys recommend and why?

If you read the original post of Mk7 Exhaust Tech you wouldn’t have any questions.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I guess I’ll elaborate.

Way back in 2016 someone gave me a CTS downpipe for free, and I’d already built a muffler delete. The resulting sound was so god awful I can only compare it to someone sending you a video that suddenly flips to a chick getting railed moaning as loud as possible whilst sitting at a nice family dinner.

So to recap, muffler delete with a aftermarket downpipe sounds like a 90hp Honda with a fart can / diesel Kubota tractor. You’ll need a brown paper bag with eye holes cut in it to mask your identity until it can be replaced it’s so embarrassing.

So in short, don’t do a muffler delete. That experience prompted me to build a full TBE and eventually a line of hand crafted parts that are now used around the world. I shared that knowledge in Mk7 Exhaust Tech so nobody else would have to learn the hard way.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
If you read the original post of Mk7 Exhaust Tech you wouldn’t have any questions.
Well sadly I still do have questions

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I guess I’ll elaborate.

Way back in 2016 someone gave me a CTS downpipe for free, and I’d already built a muffler delete. The resulting sound was so god awful I can only compare it to someone sending you a video that suddenly flips to a chick getting railed moaning as loud as possible whilst sitting at a nice family dinner.

So to recap, muffler delete with a aftermarket downpipe sounds like a 90hp Honda with a fart can / diesel Kubota tractor. You’ll need a brown paper bag with eye holes cut in it to mask your identity until it can be replaced it’s so embarrassing.

So in short, don’t do a muffler delete. That experience prompted me to build a full TBE and eventually a line of hand crafted parts that are now used around the world. I shared that knowledge in Mk7 Exhaust Tech so nobody else would have to learn the hard way.

That's awesome. Thank you for the explanation.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That's awesome. Thank you for the explanation.

The next step is being honest with yourself on how much more you want out of it and what’s a realistic budget.

Adding a 17950 or a bolt on Midpipe will deepen the tone but actually reduce peak volume a touch. It’s much better sound, and affordable.

Moving to a full Catback the options are endless, but the price point jumps drastically as well. There’s tons of examples on my YouTube channel of basically all brands & options you can think of (not just my own). Wearing headphones and comparing just a downpipe to the other options will help you decide

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
The next step is being honest with yourself on how much more you want out of it and what’s a realistic budget.

Adding a 17950 or a bolt on Midpipe will deepen the tone but actually reduce peak volume a touch. It’s much better sound, and affordable.

Moving to a full Catback the options are endless, but the price point jumps drastically as well. There’s tons of examples on my YouTube channel of basically all brands & options you can think of (not just my own). Wearing headphones and comparing just a downpipe to the other options will help you decide
I have been seriously considering continuing with the CTS theme and picking up their cat back but I haven't been able to find any good quality videos or opinions on what is essentially going to be a CTS Turbo back exhaust. I know you mentioned it in the exhaust thread and thought it would be a good idea to grab your opinion on going full CTS Turbo back (my current CTS catted dp and the CTS cat back exhaust)

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I have been seriously considering continuing with the CTS theme and picking up their cat back but I haven't been able to find any good quality videos or opinions on what is essentially going to be a CTS Turbo back exhaust. I know you mentioned it in the exhaust thread and thought it would be a good idea to grab your opinion on going full CTS Turbo back (my current CTS catted dp and the CTS cat back exhaust)
Not too certain that it'll help as you've already done the downpipe, but I have the CTS catback (just the catback). Intake is AFE panel filter, hose, and TIP with turbo muffler delete. Otherwise, it's all stock (in terms of noise). The CTS catback is on the quieter side, honestly not that much louder than OEM. BUT it has a nice sound to it (subjectively), and it's not remotely loud unless you're really in it, and even then it's not at all deafening. I'm a fan of the sound, it's a bit deeper/'boom-ier' than factory but doesn't take on the raspy sound described above.

I know a number of their products are hit or miss, but my experience with their catback was pretty positive. There are a number of videos on youtube of the CTS turboback, but on the other hand @GTI Jake knows his stuff and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with his offerings.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti

CTS CBE is boomy af and it drones after 2700rpm. I used to have that setup but sold it and picked up the CSS muffler.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
CTS CBE is boomy af and it drones after 2700rpm. I used to have that setup but sold it and picked up the CSS muffler.
Interesting -- I don't have any noticable drone. Could you go into further detail on your setup? Looking to get a downpipe at some point but my main goal is to keep this car relatively subtle and comfortable, which it is at the moment.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Interesting -- I don't have any noticable drone. Could you go into further detail on your setup? Looking to get a downpipe at some point but my main goal is to keep this car relatively subtle and comfortable, which it is at the moment.
I had CTS CBE paired with stock DP. Drone was unbearable but everyone's tolerance is different so what might be drone to me, may not be drone to others but the general consensus seems to be that CTS drones.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I want to join this convo, as I have had the luxury of hearing several different setups before making my exhaust and dp decisions. I like louder than stock, but deep tone under normal conditions, and I like it to scream when I go WOT.

I have heard:
Borla with catted and uncatted CTS dp: catted sounds better, minimal drone around the 3300-3400 area.
Milltek with catted APR: Sounds dope, almost bought this,
Xforce with catted CTS: my buddy has this, it drones too much, so Im out.
Full unitronic with their catted dp: also sounds dope, but a tad too quiet at WOT
Full CTS with their catted dp: yuk yuk yuk.
AWE Track edition with an unknown catted dp: this shit sounded EPIC. Random guy at a car show in Dallas had his GTI with this setup. Ultimately bought this exhaust and the Uni catted dp. No regrets, I putt around town with a nice authoritative sounding exhaust. Immediately recognizable to those that know, that your car is not the typical sounding GTI. At WOT it absolutely screams, I smile every single time. Also, mid powerband throttle blips will snap necks of those within earshot, it's very amusing and entertaining.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I want to join this convo, as I have had the luxury of hearing several different setups before making my exhaust and dp decisions. I like louder than stock, but deep tone under normal conditions, and I like it to scream when I go WOT.

I have heard:
Borla with catted and uncatted CTS dp: catted sounds better, minimal drone around the 3300-3400 area.
Milltek with catted APR: Sounds dope, almost bought this,
Xforce with catted CTS: my buddy has this, it drones too much, so Im out.
Full unitronic with their catted dp: also sounds dope, but a tad too quiet at WOT
Full CTS with their catted dp: yuk yuk yuk.
AWE Track edition with an unknown catted dp: this shit sounded EPIC. Random guy at a car show in Dallas had his GTI with this setup. Ultimately bought this exhaust and the Uni catted dp. No regrets, I putt around town with a nice authoritative sounding exhaust. Immediately recognizable to those that know, that your car is not the typical sounding GTI. At WOT it absolutely screams, I smile every single time. Also, mid powerband throttle blips will snap necks of those within earshot, it's very amusing and entertaining.
How loud is the awe? I don't want anything loud enough to get the cops to notice/ noise complaints.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
How loud is the awe? I don't want anything loud enough to get the cops to notice/ noise complaints.
I drive around in a town full of cops with itchy fingers and citation books. Obviously I don't wail on it when they are around, but I have been near them at slightly aggressive throttle positions. They apparently are more interested in loud V8 powered cars that are obnoxious loud, like a Mustang or hellcat etc.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I drive around in a town full of cops with itchy fingers and citation books. Obviously I don't wail on it when they are around, but I have been near them at slightly aggressive throttle positions. They apparently are more interested in loud V8 powered cars that are obnoxious loud, like a Mustang or hellcat etc.
How does it compare to the miltech system? Volume wise. I'm also trying to make sure I pass Inspection lol