GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

! ALL COBB CATBACK EXHAUST OWNERS ! ! ALL ARM 3" DOWNPIPE OWNERS !

acidelijah

So a couple months ago I purchased the Cobb Cat-back Exhaust for my VW GTI MK6. I'm not here to talk about the performance of it, it's great, was easy to install and i'm happy with it.

I'm currently still running the stock downpipe looking to purchase an aftermarket one either from ARM or CTS.
So for those who do not have the Cobb Catback it specifically comes with an adapter (2.3"-3.0") that has flanges that let you bolt the stock mk6 downpipe to the Cobb exhaust.
Most downpipes i see do not have these flanges unfortunately only clamps.. It seems Cobb once had a downpipe that would've made everything a bit more simpler in terms of bolting things on but unfortunately Cobb seems to have stopped selling their downpipe for the MK6.. RIP.

Now that I've sadly realized that there may have to be some cutting or welding needed I'm trying to find a way around this dilemma without welding, IF possible.

So if you are running the Cobb Catback Exhaust AND an aftermarket downpipe, let me know what you may have done welding/fabricating wise.
Also if you own the ARM downpipe either catted or catless, feel free to share your thoughts, I have heard that the ARM downpipe is about 2" smaller and may cause exhaust leaks which is concerning .

acidelijah

The majority of downpipes ive seen either come with an adapter or already taper down to fit the stock sized catback. It even shows the adapter in the pic on the ARM website where it tapers down.

https://www.armmotorsports.com/products/mk6-gti-3-catted-downpipe
I don't have the stock cat-back, I have the Cobb cat-back exhaust. The Cobb cat-back has flanges tha connect the catback to the stock downpipe by use of an adapter. From what i have seen, most downpipes dont have these flanges.. Link me some of the downpipes you've seen.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'm confused lol? If your Cobb catback is already hooked up to the stock downpipe it will work. The adapter is still 2.3" and uses a slip over clamp to connect to the OEM downpipe, the flange bolts connect the adapter to the catback side. The ARM tapers downpipe tapers down to the same size as the OEM downpipe when you install the adapter on it.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I don't have the stock cat-back, I have the Cobb cat-back exhaust. The Cobb cat-back has flanges tha connect the catback to the stock downpipe by use of an adapter. From what i have seen, most downpipes dont have these flanges.. Link me some of the downpipes you've seen.
If your cat back bolts up to the stock mid pipe then you won't have problems attaching it to any downpipe.

Cobb sucks for making their exhaust like that though and charging you $750 for the privilege. Yikes.

And now you're thinking CTS dp? Man you are a glutton for pain

acidelijah

I'm confused lol? If your Cobb catback is already hooked up to the stock downpipe it will work. The adapter is still 2.3" and uses a slip over clamp to connect to the OEM downpipe, the flange bolts connect the adapter to the catback side. The ARM tapers downpipe tapers down to the same size as the OEM downpipe when you install the adapter on it.
The Cobb Catback isn’t the same size as the stock catback. So you’re saying just connect both of the adapters together & it should be good?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The Cobb Catback isn’t the same size as the stock catback. So you’re saying just connect both of the adapters together & it should be good?

Most of the catback is 3" but the adapter reduces it down to ~2.3", which is how you were able to connect to the stock downpipe, and yes. Not sure what you were thinking the problem was :unsure: