GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check gas cap light came back on after replacing purge valve.

Dan_SCH

So last week my check gas cap light came on. Turning my car off and back on removed the light. A few hours after, I went to turn my car on the check engine light came on with the P0442 small evap leak code. After reading about it, I tried to resolve it by replacing the purge valve. I replaced the valve, cleared the code, and everything was fine for about a week. Today the check gas cap light came back on again, so I can only assume that eventually it will lead to the engine light coming up again. I checked my gas cap the first time the light showed up, and it was closed snugly. I always close it and twist it enough to hear it click 2-3 times. Is there something else that this can be caused by? The only other thing that I can think to do myself is replace the gas cap in case that's truly the reason. Other reasons that I read cause this is an actual leak in the hoses or a leaking fuel tank.

More info: The check engine light hasn't come on again yet, however if it does I will update this thread. Turning my car off and back on removed the check gas cap light, just as it did the first time it happened. Current odometer is at 140,000KMs (87,000 miles), and its a 2010 Golf 2.5L.

Thank you in advance for any replies and tips.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How does the gas cap seal look? Is it brittle or torn?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Most likekly the seal, If it wasnt cracked somtimes spraying with WD40 can temporarily work for a while