GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Ride Height

Schimpfy

Hey, all.

I bought a Mk6 GTI a few months ago that sits low. A previous owner lowered it a bit and I am curious what all is involved in bringing it back to stock ride height. This is my first VW and all of my background comes from trucks so I'm not exactly sure where to even start looking.

A search seemed pretty fruitless as everything I came across appeared to be about lowering.

Thanks!

AM407

Autocross Champion
Well, if he put adjustable coilovers on it there will be collars you can turn to raise it up.

But probably he just put lowering springs on it. You’ll need to buy new springs to raise it back up.

Snap a picture of the spring and we’ll be able to tell you.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Spring installs are basic with power tools, experience, and another set of hands. However, if you are missing any of those items just take it to a shop, you'll need to get an alignment anyway.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Rear springs are super easy. Use a jack to support the control arm, remove the bolt from where it secures to the spindle, then slowly decompress the spring with the jack... pull the spring out and reverse order to install the new spring.

The front springs are more difficult but they're about the same as any other strut equipped car. Just be sure to have something to spread the strut cup on the spindle and it's not so bad. Impact tools are very, very helpful.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
The front springs are more difficult but they're about the same as any other strut equipped car. Just be sure to have something to spread the strut cup on the spindle and it's not so bad. Impact tools are very, very helpful.

If the struts look original, might as well replace them while you're at it, get two birds stoned at the same time and only have to pay for one alignment. 6-10 year old car, I'm sure it's due (if it wasn't already done recently, of course).