GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Camber Plate owners chime in please **noise question**

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Hi guys, just to report back that I have finally installed the Superpro camber mounts with following the new instructions to grease the PU, but still getting soft knocking sounds over uneven roads!

I noticed that the strut bearing has free play when placed into the Superpro strut mounts. Can that be the issue?
I questioned that as well. With the stock mounts, the bearing fits snugly within the rubberized portion of the mount. With the SP mounts, there's play and it's just held in by pressure. That said, it's under a lot of pressure from the spring and it better not be moving...but perhaps. Or maybe the top of the mount (metal) seated up against the top of the fender. There's the circular plateau on the top of the mount which creates an uneven surface. It's pure conjecture but perhaps if the plate isn't torqued down evenly enough (with the 3 strut mount bolts) it is uneven, and only rears its ugly head when enough force is applied.

I've lightly looked into thin rubber sheeting, say 1/8" and apply it to the top of the mount..and perhaps 1/16" sheeting where it comes in contact with the bearing to provide some padding. Kind of like this. It would have to withstand high pressure.

strut mount top.JPG

I bought a Steelman ChassisEar tool a while ago...Need to bust it out to see if I can find anything. The noise isn't horrible, but irritating enough to degrade my driving experience. Something is certainly off. (EDIT: It was the TRW front brake pads rattling)

Last edited:

SpeedyA3

Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk7.5 2018
I questioned that as well. With the stock mounts, the bearing fits snugly within the rubberized portion of the mount. With the SP mounts, there's play and it's just held in by pressure. That said, it's under a lot of pressure from the spring and it better not be moving...but perhaps. Or maybe the top of the mount (metal) seated up against the top of the fender. There's the circular plateau on the top of the mount which creates an uneven surface. It's pure conjecture but perhaps if the plate isn't torqued down evenly enough (with the 3 strut mount bolts) it is uneven, and only rears its ugly head when enough force is applied.

I've lightly looked into thin rubber sheeting, say 1/8" and apply it to the top of the mount..and perhaps 1/16" sheeting where it comes in contact with the bearing to provide some padding. Kind of like this. It would have to withstand high pressure.

I bought a Steelman ChassisEar tool a while ago...Need to bust it out to see if I can find anything. The noise isn't horrible, but irritating enough to degrade my driving experience. Something is certainly off.

Thanks Hammersticks for the inputs and those DG springs! Installed those springs and they are great! Just the height I want, not too low. Just have to solve this irritating knocking noise now...

Yes, it could be the free play between the bearing or the top of the mount. Will re-torque the 3 strut bolts.

I used a piece of pneumatic tire rubber on top of the mount, but missed out putting a piece between the bearing and mount...Likely take them out again and worst case may be the Eurosport camber kit.