GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI upper trans mount insert for 2018 GTI DSG?

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have been searching the forums for some useful information about the BFI upper trans mount insert for my Mk7 GTI DSG. BFI lists a upper trans mount insert, MK7T-1. One of the assembly instructions shows drilling out rivets to use these inserts. Fine, no problem.

They say:
This insert only fits the follow VW & Audi transmission mount numbers:
  • 5Q0-199-555T
  • 5Q0-199-555R
Also, they say:
DOES NOT FIT these VW & Audi transmission mount numbers:
  • 5Q0-199-555AS
  • 5Q0-199-555AD
How does somebody know what mounts they have? Assuming I can find out, and don't have one of the 2 acceptable mounts, would this mount fit my Mk7 facelift if I bought it, drilled out the rivets and used the BFI insert, MK7T-1? Can I even buy this motor mount? When I search this number, the results show a different number that supersedes the number I was looking for. I have no idea if the new mount has rivets holding it together or if the BFI inserts will fit. Are there other mounts that will work that BFi does not list?

I have been searching for a post GTI Jake made years ago about the BFI inserts and trans mounts but have had no luck finding it.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You need to find a MK7 mount that has rivets. They are no longer made so you would need to find a used one. If you have a MK7.5, you do not have a mount with rivets

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Thanks Jake. I am now the proud owner.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I unknowingly bought a used 5 spd mount for my 7.5 and just drilled out the rivets and swapped everything over.

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
You need to find a MK7 mount that has rivets. They are no longer made so you would need to find a used one. If you have a MK7.5, you do not have a mount with rivets
This is the mount I took out of my 2018 GTI Mk7.5 facelift. It has rivets and looks like the Mk7 mount that GTI Jake found for me and I bought off of Ebay. Since I already had the Mk7 and had drilled out the rivets already, that is the one I used with the BFI Stage 1 insert.
IMG_3766.JPG

This is the used Mk7 I bought, drilled and used.
IMG_3716.JPG

Center punched the rivets, drilled the rivet heads in 2 steps then drove out the rivets. Easy-peasy.
IMG_3717.JPG

I used my Quick Jack to raise the car and keep it level.
IMG_3742.JPG

I did the BFI Stage 1 Motor Mount first using a floor jack and block of 2x4 to support the motor along the entire length
of the oil pan's longitudinal ridge. When I removed the bolts the motor dropped about 1/16" with no horizonal
movement at all. I raised the motor with the floor jack until the 1/16" gap just disappeared, removed the existing mount
and installed the new mount and bolts. The new BFI bolts were torqued to spec. A check of the mount's alignment
showed parallel edges at the body and the motor bracket.
IMG_3724.JPGIMG_3725.JPGIMG_3734.JPG

The hardest part of the Transmission side was removing all the stuff needed to access the mount. A couple videos did
a great job explaining what, when and how to remove the needed items. I supported the transmission with the jack and
2x4. Upon removing the bolts, there was no movement at all. Swapping the mount was simple (with the right ratchet
extension and 16mm swivel socket). Alignment looked spot on and the new OEM bolts were torqued to spec + 90*.
I failed to take photos of the Transmission side installation.

I have been running a Powerflex hybrid torque arm mount with the OE torque arm (dog bone) for a couple years and liked
how it reduced the rocking chair feel of the motor/trans with only a bit of added vibration/noise at idle and in reverse. With
the BFI mounts the noise and vibrations were very close to that of the VW mounts. The BFI may actually have been slightly better.
IMG_3810.jpg

At that point I decided to re-install the RocEuro Stabilizer bar I bought a couple years ago but had removed after reports of lose
bolts and thread damage. I kept track of a couple RE bar users who have been running it for a couple years and they reported
no problem or lose bolts. I installed the RE arm using blue thread locker and torqued all the bolts to spec. For a little added
piece-of-mind, I safety wired the bolts to further reduce chances of the bolts backing out.
IMG_3816.jpgIMG_3738.JPG

The end result was fantastic. There is so little vibration that I almost want to declare there is no vibration except in reverse
and that is a lot less than with the OE dog bone. I am amazed how good these BFI, Powerflex and RE items work together.
The drivetrain feels very solid and controlled without adding noise or vibration. It feels how a GTI should have come from the factory.

I must thank GTI Jake for his guidance and insight. His recommendation of the BFI mounts was spot on and I could not be
happier. They were everything he said they would be.

Last edited:

Harryv15

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI S
This is the mount I took out of my 2018 GTI Mk7.5 facelift. It has rivets and looks like the Mk7 mount that GTI Jake found for me and I bought off of Ebay. Since I already had the Mk7 and had drilled out the rivets already, that is the one I used with the BFI Stage 1 insert.
View attachment 190172

This is the used Mk7 I bought, drilled and used.
View attachment 190175

Center punched the rivets, drilled the rivet heads in 2 steps then drove out the rivets. Easy-peasy.
View attachment 190177

I used my Quick Jack to raise the car and keep it level.
View attachment 190181

I did the BFI Stage 1 Motor Mount first using a floor jack and block of 2x4 to support the motor along the entire length
of the oil pan's longitudinal ridge. When I removed the bolts the motor dropped about 1/16" with no horizonal
movement at all. I raised the motor with the floor jack until the 1/16" gap just disappeared, removed the existing mount
and installed the new mount and bolts. The new BFI bolts were torqued to spec. A check of the mount's alignment
showed parallel edges at the body and the motor bracket.
View attachment 190182View attachment 190183View attachment 190184

The hardest part of the Transmission side was removing all the stuff needed to access the mount. A couple videos did
a great job explaining what, when and how to remove the needed items. I supported the transmission with the jack and
2x4. Upon removing the bolts, there was no movement at all. Swapping the mount was simple (with the right ratchet
extension and 16mm swivel socket). Alignment looked spot on and the new OEM bolts were torqued to spec + 90*.
I failed to take photos of the Transmission side installation.

I have been running a Powerflex hybrid torque arm mount with the OE torque arm (dog bone) for a couple years and liked
how it reduced the rocking chair feel of the motor/trans with only a bit of added vibration/noise at idle and in reverse. With
the BFI mounts the noise and vibrations were very close to that of the VW mounts. The BFI may actually have been slightly better.
View attachment 190215

At that point I decided to re-install the RocEuro Stabilizer bar I bought a couple years ago but had removed after reports of lose
bolts and thread damage. I kept track of a couple RE bar users who have been running it for a couple years and they reported
no problem or lose bolts. I installed the RE arm using blue thread locker and torqued all the bolts to spec. For a little added
piece-of-mind, I safety wired the bolts to further reduce chances of the bolts backing out.
View attachment 190217View attachment 190216

The end result was fantastic. There is so little vibration that I almost want to declare there is no vibration except in reverse
and that is a lot less than with the OE dog bone. I am amazed how good these BFI, Powerflex and RE items work together.
The drivetrain feels very solid and controlled without adding noise or vibration. It feels how a GTI should have come from the factory.

I must thank GTI Jake for his guidance and insight. His recommendation of the BFI mounts was spot on and I could not be
happier. They were everything he said they would be.

Hey for the engine side was everything good by just using the 2x4 wood without any type of cushion foam in between? I’m just a little worried about cracking the pan lol but great write up!!

White18

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Hey for the engine side was everything good by just using the 2x4 wood without any type of cushion foam in between? I’m just a little worried about cracking the pan lol but great write up!!
That is all I used. It was a 2x4 that was long enough to straddle the long central edge and extend just beyond the side edges on both sides. I did it that way to take advantage of the rigidness provided by the edges.

RTFM

Ready to race!
I laid a rag between the two, but only because I had plans for the 2x4 that would have been harder with oil on it