GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing chain tensioner concerns

iannnmg

Hey everyone, just had a few questions about the timing chain tensioner issue. I currently own a 2010 MK6 GTI DSG at 118k miles which I purchased a few years ago, though I honestly have no idea if the previous owner resolved the timing chain tensioner issue. The engine starts and runs like a dream and there are no signs of the tensioner going bad, despite the very high mileage. From my limited understanding, if the issue were not resolved, wouldn't the tensioner have most likely failed a long time ago? Also, would I be able to just take the car to my local mechanic and have him see if the tensioner is fine (even though the engine runs perfectly)?

Any advice would be appreciated and apologies if this sounds dumb, I just have a limited understanding in terms of this specific situation and would like to take preventative action if necessary.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
You can check the chain stretch with a diagnostic tool, or you can physically look at it through the hole in the timing cover. You could also contact a dealership to see if it was done in the service history.

iannnmg

You can check the chain stretch with a diagnostic tool, or you can physically look at it through the hole in the timing cover. You could also contact a dealership to see if it was done in the service history.

Thank you for the help. Would I be able to contact any VW dealership or only ones that my specific car was serviced at?

mrdstr

My son recently bought an 09 MKV, one owner car with 130k miles on the original chain and tensioner. Everything in spec, no noise or rattles. We did the entire timing and balance shaft chain/guide/tensioner service for piece of mind. While you can measure stretch on the chain, you can't measure integrity of the tensioner. I suppose we could have just done the tensioner, but by the time you get to it, all the hard work to do the chains and guides is done so might as well change those too.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
My son recently bought an 09 MKV, one owner car with 130k miles on the original chain and tensioner. Everything in spec, no noise or rattles. We did the entire timing and balance shaft chain/guide/tensioner service for piece of mind. While you can measure stretch on the chain, you can't measure integrity of the tensioner. I suppose we could have just done the tensioner, but by the time you get to it, all the hard work to do the chains and guides is done so might as well change those too.

I learned my lesson. I had to go back and do the chain after it was rattling 20k after doing only the tensioner.

kevbass52

Ready to race!
I helped a buddy replace his a few months back on a mk6 gti with around 90k miles on it. Was not giving him issues but it is one of those problems, if it happens, it wreaks havoc on your engine and ends up costing ya more. It is a a decent challenge to DIY but very doable over a weekend. Would suggest replacing the internal guides and the chain at the same time.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I learned my lesson. I had to go back and do the chain after it was rattling 20k after doing only the tensioner.

Yeah it is almost like replacing a clutch and not replacing the RMS or TOB while in there. Madness! Do your chains and guides when you replace the tensioner ppl!

iannnmg

Thanks for the insight everyone, I will look into doing it myself to save some money. Is it necessary to replace the cover as well? I have heard some people say that you can reuse the old cover if you are careful enough, and others say that you'll bend it no matter what.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You will bend it no matter what just buy a new cover. They aren't cheap but there is literally no way to remove the old one without bending it and it only takes a tiny gap to cause a leak

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The engine starts and runs like a dream and there are no signs of the tensioner going bad, despite the very high mileage. From my limited understanding, if the issue were not resolved, wouldn't the tensioner have most likely failed a long time ago? Also, would I be able to just take the car to my local mechanic and have him see if the tensioner is fine (even though the engine runs perfectly)?

The tensioner issue has nothing to do with how the car runs. They all run fine.....right up until the second the tensioner fails. It's a design flaw, not a wear issue. Recomended replacement on the chains/guides/tensioner is 100-120k as well from wear which you can check with the visual as mentioned or VCDS with phase adjustment. If the tensioner was replaced but the chains/guides were not you're due for them unless you measure phase and want to see how far you can go as an experiment and one guy on Audizine basically did that already lol Went to like 140-150k and was at 10-11 phase IIRC. If the tensioner was replaced early like at 30k even if they did chains you are getting close to the recommended replacement limit for the chains and guides again.

So either way, if there is no documentation on if it was or when and what was done.........replace it all.