GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Giuseppe Busso

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon mk3 1.8 FR
So here’s the thing I changed all my coil packs, all new plugs got 3 sets because I was OCD they were failing. Did carbon cleaning again. 3rd one in 18k miles. Sent all my injectors out for getting tested and cleaned. They were dirty of course when sent out and came back with great results. I just put the car back together and went for a pull and same thing again. It sounds like it’s fuel cutting up top and the fuel pump keep up. Makes no sense at all

Been thinking the same thing when I eventually tune my car. Thinking about keeping it to Sport only so if I wanna get rowdy I can but when driving around town I can keep it quiet. My friend has hella pops and bangs on his tune and you can hear him a block away lol, not sure I want that

Don't do the p&b, sounds like shit on our cars. Everytime I hear a car do that shit, it triggers my PTSD and pisses me off. Definitely get no lift shift. Every manual car that wants to race should have that. It's so nice when tuned properly for it.

Listen to Drew above.....I've had it....I HATED IT......it gets old after the first drive with it.

I got it on one of my staged tunes just for fun, and it sounds like crap you just get 3-4 pops. I'd rather have real burble sound, not someone lighting of black cats.

Thank you all for your answers. I will not "add" p&b...

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
4 door where am I looking exactly? I had this happen once about 3 years ago as well. I haven't messed with any wiring or anything. I'm thinking it's a loose connector or buckle internals/contact is messed up. Will see tomorrow if it doesn't pop up I'll just consider it a fluke.
I'll have to double check, but there's a little cutout flap of the carpet that just lifts upwards, and there's a pair of connectors there. The seatbelt pigtail isn't super long, maybe 3"? And that plugs into the wiring harness under the seat. I don't know much about how the electrical side of it works, but yeah if the connections are snug I'd just write it off as a fluke unless it happens again/starts to be a regular thing.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I think the p&b really depends on the tune. The ones that are consistent and just constantly do it sound like cheesy crap. The ones that are inconsistent and don't dump a ton of fuel to do it sound pretty oem. On the unitronic tune i go back and forth with it. Stock exhaust with it on, it sounds pretty good. I've even had other mk7 owners ask me what exhaust I use.

In general though, these cars sound like crap... There's no exhaust option I've heard (other than maybe the akrapović suitcase swap only) that sounds anywhere close to decent. It will always sound like an injured tractor. The loud dsg farts with some aftermarket exhausts just make it all worse, too. Such a shame considering every other part of the car is great.

I feel like an oddity on these forums talking about exhausts... My subarus, 370Zs, and even the wife's 3.0t q7 sound miles better, and nowhere near as embarrassing at 3k rpm about to shift. I'll just go put on my race suit now in anticipation of the flaming aimed at me for this comment 🙃.

But really, I'd say give whatever you want a try and do what makes you happy. Everyone else in the world does... Look at Harley riders. No one likes the fart noise those make, but those guys don't care! They just make them even louder and then blast bassless country music while riding around city streets to hear their own echoes. They're proud and happy to, and you should be too with what you put YOUR money into.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
But really, I'd say give whatever you want a try and do what makes you happy. Everyone else in the world does... Look at Harley riders. No one likes the fart noise those make, but those guys don't care! They just make them even louder and then blast bassless country music while riding around city streets to hear their own echoes. They're proud and happy to, and you should be too with what you put YOUR money into.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I think the p&b really depends on the tune. The ones that are consistent and just constantly do it sound like cheesy crap. The ones that are inconsistent and don't dump a ton of fuel to do it sound pretty oem. On the unitronic tune i go back and forth with it. Stock exhaust with it on, it sounds pretty good. I've even had other mk7 owners ask me what exhaust I use.

In general though, these cars sound like crap... There's no exhaust option I've heard (other than maybe the akrapović suitcase swap only) that sounds anywhere close to decent. It will always sound like an injured tractor. The loud dsg farts with some aftermarket exhausts just make it all worse, too. Such a shame considering every other part of the car is great.

I feel like an oddity on these forums talking about exhausts... My subarus, 370Zs, and even the wife's 3.0t q7 sound miles better, and nowhere near as embarrassing at 3k rpm about to shift. I'll just go put on my race suit now in anticipation of the flaming aimed at me for this comment 🙃.

I have the p&b only on race mode, and it's not very loud.

The ONLY reason I run this during an autocross is because the throttle responsiveness is crisp. Otherwise if I turn the car off, and back on while leaving it in race mode (p&b go away), the throttle hangs and is a turd.

Not sure how to get around that.

Otherwise I never run it that way on the street.

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn
Is your cabin filter actually in the car? Also, newsflash, you live in a desert.
Don't use cleaner. Barely damp microfiber.
Pretty sure the cabin filters are in the glove box on these cars right? I know the desert plays a factor but damn I feel like I could wipe it down every day and it'll be back to caked in dust a day or two later.

Wasn't sure on the cleaner part but I'll just wipe down without cleaner. See a lot of radio come in for delam that Mopar won't cover, just wanted to make sure lol

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Is your cabin filter actually in the car? Also, newsflash, you live in a desert.
Don't use cleaner. Barely damp microfiber.
Funny story, when we first moved into our house, the kitchen cabinets were getting really oily/greasy when we would cook. A few months later, the microwave told us the filter needed replaced. I did not know the microwave had a filter, but had seen something in a drawer when we moved in. They never installed it... It's much better now haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
2. Is it safe to spray cleaner on the radio/info screen? I know older ones it could cause delamination but since this is a glass screen I should be good, right?
I use Griots Interior Cleaner. I used it once to clean the display, and while there was no damage done, it did affect the touchscreen sensitivity. I went over it a couple of times with a dry microfiber and it went back to normal. It must have left just enough of a layer of whatever to affect it.