GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. J

Best tires for track that won't get be killed in winter?

I took my car to the drag way for the first time.....I sucked. Best time was 14.7. My stock tires are in the "danger zone" so I need new ones regardless. I'm looking for tires that will do well on the track, but since I live in Mass, I need ones that will hold up in the winter at least as well...
  2. J

Weird sound coming out of new catback?

Maybe I just didn't notice it until a couple days ago, but for the past few days the exhaust is making a strange "whoosh" sound when I let off the gas. I'll hit the gas, engine roars...all good. Then I let go and you can hear a hallow, empty, "whoosh" type sound for a second. Hard to explain...
  3. J

Billy boat vs APR downpipe?

I already have a Borla catback exhaust, but since I'm going stage 2 need a dp. Billy boat claims its dp adds 22 horse power. APR doesn't say, but their turbo back adds 13. Since I already have a catback, I'm assume the bb wouldn't add 22 hp ontop of it? Does anybody have experience adding a...
  4. J

I'm going stage 3...need advice

I've made the decision to go stage 3. Right now I'm APR stage 1 flashed, stage 1 intake and borla catback....love the car, but I've got the serious itch to go all out. What else do I NEED ontop of the Stage 3 kit, and what would you guys highly recommend getting with it? Also, is Stage 3+ worth...
  5. J

Stage 1 vs Stage 2 ECU?

I'm not extremely knowledgable about cars, especially after market parts. Can somebody quickly explain the difference between a APR Stage 1 and stage 2 ECU tune? Is the only difference that the stage 1 is just the 93 program, and stage 2 is all 4 programs? Thanks.
  6. J

Selling stock exhaust and intake

Got an APR intake and Borla catback, so I'm selling my stock parts. They both have 19k miles on them. The exhaust is just the catback and the intake includes the stock filter, air box etc... Just shoot me an offer via private message if you're interested.
  7. J

Stage 2 GTI vs Mustang GT and 2012 WRX

Buddy of mine with an 02 Mustang GT finally raced me today. He's not tuned, but has an exhaust, short throw shifter, 4:10 gears(?), and a bunch of other stuff. I've got an APR stage 1 tune, stage 1 intake and a Borla cutback (not sure if that technically classifies as Stage 2?). Beat him on...
  8. J

Looking to buy an exhaust system

Couple questions...keeping in mind that sound is what's most important to me. 1) I don't want to spend the money on a turbo-back. Should I be getting a downpipe or catback? Sound is what's most important to me. 2) What system? APR, Borla, Magnaflow, custom? Any input would be appreciated. The...
  9. J

GTI vs 2006 BMW 330xi

A friend of mine just told me about his friend that got a 06 330xi, and he's setting up a race between him and me. My car is APR stage 1. I think he's stock. I'm looking at the numbers, and they're pretty impressive. Can/should I win this?
  10. J

Which cat back exhaust should I get?

I just had my car chipped by APR and I'm putting in a stage 1 CAI this week. I've got the bug and I've decided to get an exhaust. Don't think I can afford (nor do I see the point right now), to get a tbe, so I'm just going with a cat back. Right now my number 1 is Borla. I've heard good things...
  11. J

Meet today in south eastern MA?

I was driving down route 6 today in Westport/North Dartmouth Mass, and as I was driving, about 10-15 GTI's merged onto route 6. Some were older models, and there were some newer ones. Tried to race some, but nobody bit. They ended up all going towards Fall River/Tiverton I believe. Anybody...
  12. J

11 GTI vs Corvette

Not sure what year it was, but I got into it with a Corvette today. He was first at the stop light, and I was right behind him. He accelerated quickly enough so that we both cleared the right lane, but he didn't rip it. As soon as I went into the right I ripped it (maybe 35'sh mph in 2nd...
  13. J

11 GTI vs 03 Boxster

I had my car chipped this week and figured I'd tear it up to see what it could do yesterday. I convinced my friend to take out his 03 Boxster and we tore it up for a little bit. Didn't get any stop lights side to side, however, we had tons of fun and I definitely got to see just how much the ecu...
  14. J

ECU chip...negative effects?

Probably should have researched before I got it done, but I had my car (11 GTI) chipped this week by APR. Got a good deal...640 total with tax, no installation fee. I couldn't be happier with the performance increase. It's like a whole new car. The torque, especially at lower RPM's, is...
  15. J

Is Borla worth it?

I haven't done anything to my car yet. Still stock. Before I go all on out something, I wanted to start with something a little smaller. So I was thinking I'd get a Borla Exhaust. But is 670$ for a sound improvement worth it? How much more does it actually improve performance?? Thanks
  16. J

Questions from inexperienced GTI owner...could use help

Hey guys, would really appreciate some help... I'm 17 and got a 2011 GTI back in October. Love it. Manual transmission, carbon steel, stock. Got the base model...no gps or sun roof or any of that stuff. Couple questions... 1) How do I get the best possible 0-60+? I drove an 02 Civic before...