GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake bleeding issues

gordfc

Hi i have a 2011 2.5 4 door hatchback auto transmission and i recently had a rear brake line leak from corrosion in onr dpot only. We repaired the line. The car had been sitting for a few weeks before we noticed it, so it had leaked most of gluid out. We tried conventional bleeding pumping pedal crack bleeder etc but nothing. Then we used the vcds method and bled the brakes 4 or 5 times, the pedal seems vrry soft with car off until you pump it 2nd time without the car running then you get a bit of a pedal, however when you start the car it goes to floor and after a couple pumps we get a slight pedal but it barely has any brakes at all and the pedal is very spongy and if you hold foot on pedal it slowly goes to floor but wont stop the car. Anybody else have this issue before? How to fix it?
Thanks in advance

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Did you follow the VW bleeding order? It's not conventional, you start at the left front, then right front, then left rear, and then right rear. It is literally backwards from the conventional bleeding order.

EDIT: Just registered you said you REPAIRED the damaged line? You replaced the entire line correct? You didn't patch the corroded one??

gordfc

Did you follow the VW bleeding order? It's not conventional, you start at the left front, then right front, then left rear, and then right rear. It is literally backwards from the conventional bleeding order.

EDIT: Just registered you said you REPAIRED the damaged line? You replaced the entire line correct? You didn't patch the corroded one??
Hi, we just cut the line and put a junction in it.there was no corrosion on the lines anywhere else except the one spot the coating had rubbed off and the line corroded. The flares are good and no other leaks to be found.
That order to bleed, do that order with the vagcom/vcds as well?

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hi, we just cut the line and put a junction in it.there was no corrosion on the lines anywhere else except the one spot the coating had rubbed off and the line corroded. The flares are good and no other leaks to be found.
That order to bleed, do that order with the vagcom/vcds as well?

Put a junction in it? Like a donor piece of line or an actual line connector junction block? Both are bad ideas, one is worse than the other.

As to the order that is just the VW listed order to bleed, I have never used VCDS to bleed, just used a pressure bleeder but I have never drained all the fluid out. I think that process with VCDS is for a new ABS module or yeah if you drain or have all the fluid leak out maybe.