GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL, misfire after oil change.

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
I change the oil and filter, the headlight bulbs, the in cabin air filter, and front grill. Does anyone have any sugestions?
I've been changing my own oil for decades. This is the first time this has happened.

engien faults 02.png

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
After I read the codes and took the screen shot, I cleared them. That was three days ago and there hasn't been another CEL since. The bump in the idle is gone and it seems to be running fine again. I'll try a hard pull when my days off roll around again. That's what set it off the first time.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
pull out the coils and inspect spark plugs

1st Gen

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't had a misfire since I cleared the codes weeks ago. Clearing the codes didn't fix it, that just fixed the light. The car seems to have fixed itself.
Checking the coil packs is a great idea but it doesn't appear to be necessary. Thanks for the suggestions.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I haven't had a misfire since I cleared the codes weeks ago. Clearing the codes didn't fix it, that just fixed the light. The car seems to have fixed itself.
Checking the coil packs is a great idea but it doesn't appear to be necessary. Thanks for the suggestions.
Prayers to the most high for our cars fixing itself... my GTI 2.0T had a misfire on cylinder 2, I inspected the spark plug, nothing wrong, it looks clean, I swapped the ignition coils around (R8 ignition coils) to see if it's the ignition coils, no mis-fires yet, nothing crazy to trigger a code.

I was told the 2.0TSI has NORMAL slight misfires (which my scanning tool picks up, just a couple misfires on all 4 cylinders). Which is apparently normal... I just don't check anymore and I drive it without thinking too much about it.

I did notice a little tiny amount of oil around the thread of the spark plugs... yes.. time for head valve cover gasket replacement but all the shops said to push it off, it's not that bad yet so I'm listening to the shops.