GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk diagnosis

dub*man

Ready to race!
Hey all,

2011 GTI with 210,000 miles. subframe was silent until I had a new clutch installed by a local VW/Audi independent shop.

These are the usual clunks after a clutch install. This happens under cornering, acceleration, braking.
The car had these since new but went away after the Passat bolt install - after the clutch install they are back. My remedy was to replace all subframe bolts and get the tyrolsport locking collar kit. They didn't help.

Everything has been torqued according to the A3 repair manual.
https://blogvager.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/10-audi_a3_qsb_web.pdf

There is also a clunk that comes as I move the steering wheel from lock to lock. I can hear it coming from the passenger side in the front.
After it clunks from moving the wheel - you can hear the brake dust shield ping.

Things I’ve replaced

Control arm bushings (both)

Shocks/struts

Strut Mounts

Strut bearings

brand new adjustable end links - installed dead while the car is level on the ground.

All associated bolts and hardware are new

Only things left I can think of are:

Tie rods

Ball joints (super pro adjustable with around 60,000 miles on them)

Any ideas on where I should start next?

Last edited:

dub*man

Ready to race!
I replaced the end links a few days ago with new superpro adjustable units - the clunk is still present unfortunately

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Hey all,

2011 GTI with 210,000 miles. subframe was silent until I had a new clutch installed by a local VW/Audi independent shop.

These are the usual clunks after a clutch install. This happens under cornering, acceleration, braking.
The car had these since new but went away after the Passat bolt install - after the clutch install they are back. My remedy was to replace all subframe bolts and get the tyrolsport locking collar kit. They didn't help.

Everything has been torqued according to the A3 repair manual.
https://blogvager.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/10-audi_a3_qsb_web.pdf

There is also a clunk that comes as I move the steering wheel from lock to lock. I can hear it coming from the passenger side in the front.
After it clunks from moving the wheel - you can hear the brake dust shield ping.

Things I’ve replaced

Control arm bushings (both)

Shocks/struts

Strut Mounts

Strut bearings

brand new adjustable end links - installed dead while the car is level on the ground.

All associated bolts and hardware are new

Only things left I can think of are:

Tie rods

Ball joints (super pro adjustable with around 60,000 miles on them)

Any ideas on where I should start next?
check everything that was touched during the clutch install. put the car on the hoist, have another person listen from outside, underneath the car while its in the air