GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Forum Boomers Attempt To Decipher Gen Z Mad Libs

riceburner

Autocross Champion

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Lol yeah we’re lucky here. Season actually started last month. I have 4 events over the next month between 3 clubs/groups, which works out amazingly with new tires and handling characteristics I need to learn.
That's fantastic. I'm still running RT660s this season (but on a new set of much lighter wheels), along with fresh (respectable) brake fluid and Koni Yellows this time around to try to have a bit less body roll. Also going to get some alignment plates so I can at least futz with toe adjustment, the car is pretty close to dialed in to a degree where I can get it to do what I want but just not quite there yet.

I also may have been running my previous set of 660s at 32lbs in the quest for just a little more grip to catch a particular Miata, which I now understand is waaaaay less than I needed and probably did more harm than good. It sounds like we're going to have a test & tune season opener, so I'm going to take that opportunity to try bumping pressure significantly (37psi front and 35psi rear is my thought to start) and hopefully get the car dialed in. My wife's Mazda is on a new tune as well and it's gonna be a lot to handle, she's a very talented driver and we have very similar Mazdas. I wish mine was geared like hers though, I can barely eke out 50mph in 2nd gear but the shift to 3rd is just a little too far.

Tell me more about your setup, I love learning about what little things make a difference.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
*person walking by ourside*
Every dog: bark bark bark
Every owner: heyyy, stop it!
Every dog: continues bark bark bark

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
*person walking by ourside*
Every dog: bark bark bark
Every owner: heyyy, stop it!
Every dog: continues bark bark bark
1679662128897.png

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
That's fantastic. I'm still running RT660s this season (but on a new set of much lighter wheels), along with fresh (respectable) brake fluid and Koni Yellows this time around to try to have a bit less body roll. Also going to get some alignment plates so I can at least futz with toe adjustment, the car is pretty close to dialed in to a degree where I can get it to do what I want but just not quite there yet.

I also may have been running my previous set of 660s at 32lbs in the quest for just a little more grip to catch a particular Miata, which I now understand is waaaaay less than I needed and probably did more harm than good. It sounds like we're going to have a test & tune season opener, so I'm going to take that opportunity to try bumping pressure significantly (37psi front and 35psi rear is my thought to start) and hopefully get the car dialed in. My wife's Mazda is on a new tune as well and it's gonna be a lot to handle, she's a very talented driver and we have very similar Mazdas. I wish mine was geared like hers though, I can barely eke out 50mph in 2nd gear but the shift to 3rd is just a little too far.

Tell me more about your setup, I love learning about what little things make a difference.
My setup isn’t too exciting, but the goal for me was to blend daily comfort with some smart tweaks for autocross:

Stock springs with Koni Special Actives. These cleaned up the ride around town a good bit, while helping control body roll/dive/squat. A nice upgrade that doesn’t totally change the dynamics of the car — it just makes things a little better. Eurosport camber mounts up front for a little more front-end action. Then a bigger RSB and a couple upper braces. Feels nice. Car pretty much does what I want it to do without any big surprises. My biggest thing holding me back last season was lack of experience, multiple setup changes, and street tires. On V730s now. Goal this season is to stop changing stuff on the car and run a consistent setup and get good at that setup.

I’ve seen some guys on stock GTIs and 200tw tires running incredible times, so it goes to show knowing how to control your car, regardless of mods, is key.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
My setup isn’t too exciting, but the goal for me was to blend daily comfort with some smart tweaks for autocross:

Stock springs with Koni Special Actives. These cleaned up the ride around town a good bit, while helping control body roll/dive/squat. A nice upgrade that doesn’t totally change the dynamics of the car — it just makes things a little better. Eurosport camber mounts up front for a little more front-end action. Then a bigger RSB and a couple upper braces. Feels nice. Car pretty much does what I want it to do without any big surprises. My biggest thing holding me back last season was lack of experience, multiple setup changes, and street tires. On V730s now. Goal this season is to stop changing stuff on the car and run a consistent setup and get good at that setup.

I’ve seen some guys on stock GTIs and 200tw tires running incredible times, so it goes to show knowing how to control your car, regardless of mods, is key.

I love it. The Special Actives are the red ones, right? I have oranges on the AX car at the moment, but the dive is pretty significant in any direction (mildly stiffer springs) and I think that with their mileage and use, they may be due for a rebuild. I was interested in the reds for a while, but ultimately I'd like to fiddle with specific damping/rebound stiffness. How do you feel about the braces, I assume the underbody braces are what you're referring to? I've considered them on my GTI as well as solid subframe mounts, which I know were a big upgrade on my mk4.

Learn the car in one set configuration sounds like a solid plan, lots of changes can be super hard to learn and make it hard to dial things in to where you want to be. The GTI is absolutely stupid with how capable it is. How do you like the V730s? I'm looking at Yokohama Apex V601s for the GTI, and my wife's possibly buying new tires for next season and I may see if she wants to try out the RE-71RS because I hear they're absurdly fast as well. We're not quite A052 money, so the last couple seasons have been on the RT-660s.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yeah we got an auger

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I love it. The Special Actives are the red ones, right? I have oranges on the AX car at the moment, but the dive is pretty significant in any direction (mildly stiffer springs) and I think that with their mileage and use, they may be due for a rebuild. I was interested in the reds for a while, but ultimately I'd like to fiddle with specific damping/rebound stiffness. How do you feel about the braces, I assume the underbody braces are what you're referring to? I've considered them on my GTI as well as solid subframe mounts, which I know were a big upgrade on my mk4.

Learn the car in one set configuration sounds like a solid plan, lots of changes can be super hard to learn and make it hard to dial things in to where you want to be. The GTI is absolutely stupid with how capable it is. How do you like the V730s? I'm looking at Yokohama Apex V601s for the GTI, and my wife's possibly buying new tires for next season and I may see if she wants to try out the RE-71RS because I hear they're absurdly fast as well. We're not quite A052 money, so the last couple seasons have been on the RT-660s.
Yeah the red ones. The braces I have are upper braces for body flex. Front strut bar and a rear bar behind the seats. Don’t do anything for handling but do help the feel. Haven’t done any underbody bracing.

Can’t say much about the v730s yet as I haven’t run an event on them yet. But they are well reviewed and apparently handle heat well.

My last tire was actually the v601’s! I really liked them for the price. Decent road manners (good, not great), and held up amazingly well at autocross. Super sharp handling and steering response. But their straight line traction isn’t as good as their handling. Overall a great do-it-all tire.

Do you autocross your GTI, Mazda, or both?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Working today. Can’t wait to retire. That sweet sweet 20yr mark trips next March.

Need to get my suspension installed then an alignment, then new rolly bois for the warmer months.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Yeah the red ones. The braces I have are upper braces for body flex. Front strut bar and a rear bar behind the seats. Don’t do anything for handling but do help the feel. Haven’t done any underbody bracing.

Can’t say much about the v730s yet as I haven’t run an event on them yet. But they are well reviewed and apparently handle heat well.

My last tire was actually the v601’s! I really liked them for the price. Decent road manners (good, not great), and held up amazingly well at autocross. Super sharp handling and steering response. But their straight line traction isn’t as good as their handling. Overall a great do-it-all tire.

Do you autocross your GTI, Mazda, or both?

Nice, yeah I'm hunting for a better weekend/fun tire than the Raptors, which shouldn't be hard to do. The V601 looked attractive for the price, and if I can get the GTI to quit spinning the tires so much from a roll, it'll be great. I should figure out how Cobb traction control works as well.

I primarily autocross my Mazda3. It's far cheaper to maintain, and the GTI is a pretty special car to me, where the Mazda I'd be bummed but not disheveled if it were to get crunched up. However, once funds are available, my wife and I are going to be codriving an ND Miata.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Nice, yeah I'm hunting for a better weekend/fun tire than the Raptors, which shouldn't be hard to do. The V601 looked attractive for the price, and if I can get the GTI to quit spinning the tires so much from a roll, it'll be great. I should figure out how Cobb traction control works as well.

I primarily autocross my Mazda3. It's far cheaper to maintain, and the GTI is a pretty special car to me, where the Mazda I'd be bummed but not disheveled if it were to get crunched up. However, once funds are available, my wife and I are going to be codriving an ND Miata.
i have v601's ready to be mounted for summer.