GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG dead?

CustomZ02

Passed Driver's Ed
So I finally got my car back from this shop that took their sweet time working on it(4months) to replace my intake valves that bent on me. They rebuilt the upper and lower end.

3 days later my transmission went out and it’s in limp mode now. I only have 1st gear no reverse and will not shift out of first. I’m guessing I need a new transmission? I believe I have a MSY transmission, are they interchangeable? Or do I have to replace it with another MSY? They are really hard to find used.

I’m currently at 165k miles and also now getting random miss fires(I believe I need to replace intake manifold).

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CustomZ02

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Why did they "rebuild the bottom end" for bent valves? That makes no sense. Sounds like they messed something up tbh. No idea what, but it isnt a coincidence your DSG just fails right when you get the car back.

CustomZ02

Passed Driver's Ed
They resealed the oil pan and timing chain cover, they pulled the entire engine out to work on it.

It’s when I got on the highway and tried to go in to 6th it wouldn’t shift. So I put it back into D and it down shifted to 3rd and then I pulled off the highway into a parking lot. I then turned off the car to see if it would fix the issue and I got a flashing wrench light and then no reverse.

They keep telling me they are going to send someone over to read the codes but it’s been two weeks now.

I do agree that may have messed something up, the shop owner tells me he wants to make it right but he only had one mechanic and I honestly don’t want the same mechanic to touch the car. He seemed like he gave two shits when I was there.

But anyone have an idea what it could be without pulling the codes? I just have a cheap FIXD obd reader and it just gives me a generic code.

Last edited:

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
They resealed the oil pan and timing chain cover, they pulled the entire engine out to work on it.

It’s when I got on the highway and tried to go in to 6th it wouldn’t shift. So I put it back into D and it down shifted to 3rd and then I pulled off the highway into a parking lot. I then turned off the car to see if it would fix the issue and I got a flashing wrench light and then no reverse.

They keep telling me they are going to send someone over to read the codes but it’s been two weeks now.

I do agree that may have messed something up, the shop owner tells me he wants to make it right but he only had one mechanic and I honestly don’t want the same mechanic to touch the car. He seemed like he gave two shits when I was there.

But anyone have an idea what it could be without pulling the codes? I just have a cheap FIXD obd reader and it just gives me a generic code.
I'm not sure what it could be honestly. However, Kyle TX is only about an hour away from me (SA) and I have OBD11 pro which may do a better job. Lmk