GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine replacement cost

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
What is a fair price to replace a GTI engine ? I’m being told $2k to replace both cooling fans and water pump. I think I can get a rebuilt engine for $2500 plus install. Really considering replacing the whole engine. Thoughts ?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If your cooling fans and water pump went you might have some damage to the block from excessive heat, simply putting in a rebuilt engine would solve that issue but it's a lot more work.

Is it the same shop quoting you for the water pump the one that would do the engine swap? If so what's their labor estimate on the engine swap?

Also a rebuilt engine probably won't have fans unless it's a salvage car...

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
It’s a different mechanic. The one quoting the swap is a mobile mechanic who has been coming to my house for years working on our other cars. He will install it for $500 so $3k for rebuilt and installed. Vs $2 for hoping there isn’t more damage down the line.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
But how much for the mobile mechanic to come and just change out the water pump and fans?

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
He said he didn’t think it was worth it to do just that due to the cost. He thought he could do both for around $1500’ish. He had to check prices in the fans. But for $1500 more I get a whole engine. Hard not to think that is the better choice.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't put a new engine in unless you need one though. Like if the car ran out of coolant and was driven then maybe consider it but if this is just a regular repair I wouldn't pay for a new used engine just "because"

MadSc13ntist

Ready to race!
I bought it used and I’m starting to see some issues pop up that make me think it wasn’t taken care of real well. I’m not sure if it was overheated before or not. And I feel like for an extra $1k I won’t have to worry about it or any other potential problems hanging around.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Well, if the piece of mind is worth the extra 1k to you then it is an easy decision.

As long as you know it is probably not necessary.