GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fault Codes & Loss of Power Steering after Pulling Battery

5thApex

Yesterday I pulled the battery... needed to be replaced.

Re-installed, just like I have the past 2 times and now I have several issues. Several fault codes appear on my MFD. Prior to this, I had a CEL because my intake manifold needs replaced... waiting to do that until I have a weekend to pull the old one and replace it with the updated version. Other than that the car was fine.

Faults
- Air Bag
- Power Steering - None at all
- ESC malfunction
- Adaptive Lighting System Malfunction

At first, I thought I may have inadvertently blown a fuse. Checked all the fuses on both fuse boxes. All of them are fine.

Could it be in limp mode and just need to be driven around the block a few times? I've looked through the forums here and elsewhere, only other instances I can find is that maybe I should try to reset the steering angle?

Thanks for the help guys!

5thApex

Just tried that. Drove it 2-3 miles. Power cycled 2-3 times, still not clearing the faults...

Any other ideas?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
When you say Power Steering none at all you mean literally, there is no power steering? Not that it shows a fault, but it is not functioning?

Did you have any mis-steps putting the battery in, sparks, put the positive on first and then brush the negative against the cowl or anything?

Faults should disappear within blocks as 5thApex stated, certainly should not have a failure of P/S. If you had VCDS you could manually clear the codes at least, see if they came back but that P/S issue seems to be something else happening.

5thApex

No... no issues. Very pedestrian battery change. Standard procedure. Unhook neg terminal, unhook positive terminal. Remove battery, replace with new, positive then negative. So confused. Going to take it my mechanic buddy see if clearing the codes clears the issue.

... thought. Even if I had some short somewhere, wouldn't a fuse blow? If I fired something, wouldn't the car fail to start? If it was the ECU wouldn't the car not run or run roughly? None of that has happened. That's why I am stumped.

5thApex

Also to address Thumper1... power steering is not working period, however, when I took it out it felt like at one point it was starting to work but it didn't pan out.