GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf MK6 problem with lights and locking (BCM)

bigcarguy31

Hi,

My dad generously got me a 2013 Golf MK6 as a graduation gift. I really like the car, like the way it drives but the locks and lights do not work correctly and my dad oversaw that when buy the car unfortunately.

To be specific, the car-remote does not work at all, the door locks do not work until I turn on the car. Meaning every time I want to get in with passengers (which is alot) I have to unlock manually (with the key), then turn on the car, and only then will I be able to press the unlock button on the door to let them in. When the car is not turned on, the door locks button dont work and also, Im not able to open the hatch.

The lights also dont fully work, it seems they are always set to the night light (stronger lights), whether I switch the lights on or off, on the outside, nothing happens and the night lights are always turned on. The only thing I can do is pull the light dual and turn on the fog lights. Also when I turn the lights on and off the inside lights correctly turn on and off, its just not switching between the day and night headlights.

I give these 2 problem in the same post because I asked my uncle who is a somewhat of a mechanic and he confidently said this had to do with the Body Control Module and said something about replacing it and programming it. He mentioned he used to know someone who could program them but now lost contact with them, hence he told me he couldn't help me with this one.

At this point Im left with 2options: Option one, live with is and get rid of the car asap

or I could either try to fix it or have it fixed by a skilled mechanic.

What I want to know is, is he right? Could the locking and lights issue be related to the body control module? Also is replacing and programming it difficult? I am a software engineer so I have some programming knowledge, just not with cars..

If you read this far, thank you and sorry for the bad english(3rd language)