GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Major Oil Leak

SeanGTI12

So my 2012 GTI has a big oil leak somewhere, I can smell the burnt oil very vaguely yet I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and dipstick says it’s low. I checked all around to look for oil or anything to resemble a leak and I couldn’t find a thing. I’m really lost on where to find this leak and how to fix it. If someone could give me any suggestions before I take it to a shop, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
So you smell burning oil but there's no oil leaking? You've been under the car and don't see anything? Sounds like it could be burning it, how low is it on the dipstick? Are we talking down half a quart or are we talking at the bottom of the range?

Is this a stock car?

SeanGTI12

So you smell burning oil but there's no oil leaking? You've been under the car and don't see anything? Sounds like it could be burning it, how low is it on the dipstick? Are we talking down half a quart or are we talking at the bottom of the range?

Is this a stock car?
Car is not stock. Put 5 quarts in 2 weeks ago and down to barely nothing on the dipstick.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
That is a LOT of oil gone, unless you have a blackhole in your engine bay that oil has to be on the ground or coming out the tailpipe and at that rate I would expect the cloud of smoke if it was burning to be quite obvious.

Should be obvious under the car even if it's only leaking while being driven, there has to be a massive amount of oil splattered under the car if it's a leak.

And no smoke coming out of the pipes?

SeanGTI12

That is a LOT of oil gone, unless you have a blackhole in your engine bay that oil has to be on the ground or coming out the tailpipe and at that rate I would expect the cloud of smoke if it was burning to be quite obvious.

Should be obvious under the car even if it's only leaking while being driven, there has to be a massive amount of oil splattered under the car if it's a leak.

And no smoke coming out of the pipes?
Weirdly there is no smoke and I looked for oil spots on my driveway and couldn’t find anything