GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition Off / Audio Automatically Shuts Off

Markus

I took possession of my GTI last week and so far am quite happy with it. However, I have found an irritating issue what I haven't resolved yet. When I turn the ignition from "On" to "Off" but leave the key in place, the audio automatically shuts off. In all my previous vehicles, when I shut the car off the audio stayed on as long as the key remained in place, and would eventually "time out" and shut off after maybe 10 mins. The audio would only turn off when the key was removed if I did so within that 10 mins.

Is there a way to change the settings on the new GTI so that the audio stays on when the key is set to "off" but still in the ignition? I have the tech/nav package BTW.

Thanks,
Mark

mongo1

Ready to race!
No idea, but it was an adjustment for me as well. My girlfriend's Beetle does this too, so she's used to it.

Markus

Well I find it quite irritating. I've owned a number of VW's and none of them ever had this issue. However, my father drives a 2010 diesel Touareg and his does the same silly thing as my GTI.

Both he and I checked through the owners manuals and so far have come up empty.

Anyone have some idea how to change the setting?

Markus

OK, the local VW dealer answered my question... :D

The audio does indeed shut off when you turn the ignition to the off position. However, you can turn the audio back on using the "On/Off" button for the stereo. With the stereo back on, you can actually remove the key from the ignition and the audio will stay on for up to 1 hour, or until you turn the power off using the source power button. You can even open the doors and the audio will continue playing unless the audio power button is pressed to turn it off.
:)

woofie2

Ready to race!
I miss the ability to kill the motor and leave the key in the ignition for a few minutes listening to the end of a song or news.

My 2003 did not shut off the radio until the key was removed from the ignition.
my 2010 shuts off when the car is shut off.

if you repower the radio by pushing the power button, listen for a minute or two, then power it off, you will have to press the power button again when you get in and start the car the next time.