GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insane Golf 5 GTI Crash at Nurburgring

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
I've only been to one other track other than Nurburgring, so my experience is limited, but Nurburgring is like a crash-hole compared to likely anything we have in North America -- the guardrails are really only like 2-5 feet from the track. Which makes it that much more amazing.

the track is really narrow compared to playing gt5. ive seen cars flipped over and bikes crash on the track. it really sucks for the uk guys when they crash cos they have a long way to get back home. ive seen them walk around trying to sell their remaining tickets after crashing.

but the nurburgring is automotive heaven, there is so much about that track that lures people in that i really cant explain it with words. you just got to go and see for yourself.

kharma

Ready to race!
It's a terrible looking crash to have in a car that's two generations old and not equipped with all the airbags modern Golfs get.

That's just a bit dramatic... it's not like it was a Mk2 deathtrap.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
That's just a bit dramatic... it's not like it was a Mk2 deathtrap.

Yes, it still has all the airbags we have, not so sure about the rear side curtains, but no one was back there.

green hell

Ready to race!
but the nurburgring is automotive heaven, there is so much about that track that lures people in that i really cant explain it with words. you just got to go and see for yourself.

:thumbsup:

i'd love to go there, and i'd feel no shame toodling about at 6/10, either in a car or on a bike.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
the track is really narrow compared to playing gt5. ive seen cars flipped over and bikes crash on the track. it really sucks for the uk guys when they crash cos they have a long way to get back home. ive seen them walk around trying to sell their remaining tickets after crashing.

This^ and do your best to go, given your sched on a day when its not a zoo. Read up about it, play a sim and when you go do yourself a favor - Rent a car at the Ring with a driver and learn something about the place. Learn the rules about passing etc.

If you cant do that minimize your exposure by going when its not too crowded and enjoy it/learn it first then push a bit. Double and triple check your insurance coverage as well. Many of my German friends have ZERO coverage from their own German companies when going to the Ring.

It is an amazing place and once bitten you will yearn to return- NO QUESTION :)

Cwinne

Ready to race!
I'd agree with him pushing it, going wide and catching grass didn't help. Luckily the driver is ok. Anybody who tracks there daily or races cars on a track understand these situation.

For me in oval track racing, once your sideways try your best to not get hit by traffic rather than hit a wall.

BlackPearlGti2012

Passed Driver's Ed
He shouldn't have lifted. Probably has an unnecessarily huge rear sway bar causing lift off oversteer after he hit the grass. Stay on the gas, your ass will not be grass.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
When the two wheels were about to go off he should have straightened the wheel and hit the right side wall with his right side and that would have been sucky but far less damaging and dangerous. Instead it appears he had the wheel turned when he went off trying to catch it, so the right side lost traction when the two went off and with the wheel turned he snapped across the track and head on into the wall. This is a classic example of why coaches tell you to straighten the wheel when you're about to go off.