GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone Connection

calabaria

This all started when I wanted a single connection for my iphone that would both charge and carry audio into the auxiliary input. Most adapters that do this are made for iPods, not iPhones (for those familiar with the pop-up "This device is not made for the iPhone" - you know what I mean). I have seen a few devices that do work, but the iphone connector falls apart. While not made for this purpose, I used the Apple Component AV Cable. Kinda pricey at $49.99, but it's well built, made by apple to work with apple, and breaks out the audio and USB for charging.

My Golf came with the auxiliary port in the center arm rest, I took the arm rest out and pushed the auxiliary port through. That way I can plug directly into with the auxiliary input with the connection concealed under the arm rest (not inside). I am currently looking for some type of rectangular blank to fill the space where the auxiliary input jack used to be, ideas welcome.

The following setup allows you to run all you devices into the glove box, rather than running them to the driver side fuse box. I used one of those add-a-line fuse adapters and than ran a 16-2 cable to the clove box. There I spliced the 16-2 cable to a cigarette lighter receptacle. I have plugged a 12V USB charger into the receptacle, where currently I have the iPhone USB, but will later split the connection for both my iPhone and Garmin GPS.

The whole setup is pretty seamless. I also have the bluetooth interface, so when playing music on my iPhone and the phone rings, I hit the little phone button, music fades, and I take the call (audio passed through bluetooth not wired connection). When the call ends, the music fades back up. Very Happy... :happyanim:

Add-a-line fuse adapter - $8.99
Apple Componete AV Cable - $49.99
Cigarette lighter receptacle - $3.99
16-2 wire - $2.99
USB charger - $5.99
Total Cost = $71.95 <-kinda pricey :(

p3asa

Ready to race!
Maybe I've missed something here but can't you just plug the iPhone into the MDI connector that comes with the car that way it charges and plays your audio?!

Ah got you now, You have a MKV but posted in a MKVI board. Makes sense now!!!

calabaria

@p3asa - not exactly, I have a mkvi. hopefully this image helps explain. i guess a left a few parts out in my initial description.

p3asa

Ready to race!
Sorry I only looked at the MKV description in your details at the side.
Why can't you just plug the iphone into the MDI which charges it and sends audio?

p3asa

Ready to race!
Ah right. Sorry I thought it came as standard on all the Golfs over there like it does in the UK.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
MDI isn't even standard for Canadian GTIs... lol