GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

metal in coolant/timing overhaul

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
hey guys, been a while since Ive posted or messed with my VW much at all. been working on a project EM1 civic while gathering parts for my GTI over the winter. my k04 grenaded after about 1000 miles last year. after checking oil pressure with a new turbo, found it was getting 7psi at hot idle. seemed ok when revved it would build pressure. figured Id do updated timing components, oil pump and balance shafts while Im in there since some people have had similar intermittent oil pressure problems due to balance shafts. the pulley on the exhaust shaft pulled off with the special tool. so transmission has to come out to knock the balance shaft out from the other side, wonderful..

anyways, while working on pulling the transmission and remove the intake balance shaft when I removed the water pump I found very fine metal in the coolant. which Im assuming was from my grenaded turbo since theres the same size "glitter" particles in the oil from the whole event. I see this cover that Im not sure what it covers exactly and was just wondering if anybody knows, also going to flush out the cooling system and the oil as best I can but wondering if theres any other cooling components that would need to either be replaced or removed to be well cleaned like the water pump of course I think could just be flushed out or the electric pump on the bottom side of the engine. thought I would do a an aluminum radiator upgrade then too.
20240326_181132.jpg

Last edited: