GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEED Help - Audio Upgrade

d..m..b

I have a golf 1.4s standard audio setup

And im just wanting to know whats the best way of getting a good but not too expensive upgrade and still keep the standard head unit.... if possible

Thanks

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
which headunit do you have?

I have a 1.6Tdi 'S' and have the RCD310 (the big unit with ipod/usb connection in the centre console) comes with 8 speakers as standard with that option and it sounds pretty decent but not enough bass.

I am currently in the process of building an install (2x 10" subs in the boot) to give me the bass, as even in my mk3 golf the standard midrange speakers/tweeters arent bad.

regardless of what speakers/subs you want to put in there are no RCA outputs on the stock RCD210/RCD310 headunits. What I have got on order (from hongkong) is a little 6" extention for the cable that plugs into the back of the headunit, then also a 4 way audio line out convertor which takes 4 speaker outputs and gives you 4 RCA outputs(also a remote for your amps), I'll splice this into the extention as its something I can remove at any time without damaging the main loom.

Once you have this sort of thing plugged into your headunit, then you can connect in as much as you want really as you then have RCA speaker outputs for amps.

I'm still learning :) but hopefully by the end of next week I might have something working!

d..m..b

I just have the standard 210 at the moment bought it as it was a show car at the garage and alot cheaper than a new one and it had only done 2000 miles :)

Would i have to upgrade from the 210 to start of with? Cos that looks quite pricey! a

Lol im totally new to upgrading audio in cars! haha!

d..m..b

which headunit do you have?

I have a 1.6Tdi 'S' and have the RCD310 (the big unit with ipod/usb connection in the centre console) comes with 8 speakers as standard with that option and it sounds pretty decent but not enough bass.

I am currently in the process of building an install (2x 10" subs in the boot) to give me the bass, as even in my mk3 golf the standard midrange speakers/tweeters arent bad.

regardless of what speakers/subs you want to put in there are no RCA outputs on the stock RCD210/RCD310 headunits. What I have got on order (from hongkong) is a little 6" extention for the cable that plugs into the back of the headunit, then also a 4 way audio line out convertor which takes 4 speaker outputs and gives you 4 RCA outputs(also a remote for your amps), I'll splice this into the extention as its something I can remove at any time without damaging the main loom.

Once you have this sort of thing plugged into your headunit, then you can connect in as much as you want really as you then have RCA speaker outputs for amps.

I'm still learning :) but hopefully by the end of next week I might have something working!

Sounds good!

Let me know how it goes cos the bass aint enough for me either !

Bugsy_Malone 666

Passed Driver's Ed
well the line out convertor is the last part I am waiting for to arrive from hongkong (should be here this week) and then I am in the process of designing/building some fibreglass sub boxes.

I opted for a rcd310 upgrade on my golf and that came with a few extra features. 8 speakers rather than 4 (they class the tweeters as speakers!) and also media support. I think essentially that could be the only differences other than size, you'd have to do a bit of research but it maybe the case that the 210 actually has 4 speaker outs and that vw only use 2 as standard.

Obviously once you have RCA outs the worlds your oyster :)

soon as the bits arrive I'll start a build up thread!