GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of replacing the GTI

FNR32

Ready to race!
ah, how new of a CS are you talking then? I've seen them as low as $32K for 06-07's. Otherwise, I'd agree on the 370z piont and a C6Z would be absolutely amazing.

Yea around the 06-07 range is what I'd look at. The find one with decent miles that didn't appear to have been ragged on too bad was about 35-36. By comparison, C6Z05's are going for 37-42 :-/

FNR32

Ready to race!
Used Elise, no question. Throw on an aftermarket supercharging solution for ~300 hp and enjoy. That is most likely what I'll be doing in 2-3 years when I have the $$, unless I decide to go for a Mustang or something much more expensive like M3/Cayman/ATS-V.

That's a pretty interesting option, i guess i never thought about a S/C Elise. I may look into that!

FNR32

Ready to race!
Get a new mustang GT and throw on a supercharger. Or a pre-owned S4, TTRS

The mustang GT is on the list. I drove one the other day and I really wanted not to like it, but I ended up liking it a lot. There are things I could nit pick about it, but the same could be said for the GTi.

The S4 is on the list, but it's pretty low on the list. From a performance standpoint, it's lacking a bit, but I do like the quattro! Still, i think RWD is my first choice even over AWD.

The TTRS is still way too expensive from what I have seen :(

FNR32

Ready to race!
ditto!

-

A 996?
Or go with the awesome 993 <3

996 could be cool, 993 would be epic! Sadly, both of those are still over the 40K range. 993's still go for somewhere in the 50-60 range for the turbo

I have also considered the E63AMG, C63AMG, and e90/92 M3. Maintenance is a concern for me considering the brake rotors for the E63 are about 700 each for the fronts, the M3 is about half that.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hard to beat a used C6 vette
for "bang for the buck" even the base
versions perform pretty well.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yea around the 06-07 range is what I'd look at. The find one with decent miles that didn't appear to have been ragged on too bad was about 35-36. By comparison, C6Z05's are going for 37-42 :-/

ah, by me lots of Cayman S's are under $35K no problem. Damn, C6Z06's are in the mid 30's by you? I have not really seen that by me.

The mustang GT is on the list. I drove one the other day and I really wanted not to like it, but I ended up liking it a lot. There are things I could nit pick about it, but the same could be said for the GTi.

The S4 is on the list, but it's pretty low on the list. From a performance standpoint, it's lacking a bit, but I do like the quattro! Still, i think RWD is my first choice even over AWD.

The TTRS is still way too expensive from what I have seen :(

I've sat in the new Mustang GT and was pretty impressed just with the interior and seats. They seem very solid and a great bang for your buck option.

S4 - is hot as hell. Easy tunable and fast as fuck after just an intake and chipping. Agreed, TTRS are still pretty rare and high priced...for now.

996 could be cool, 993 would be epic! Sadly, both of those are still over the 40K range. 993's still go for somewhere in the 50-60 range for the turbo

I have also considered the E63AMG, C63AMG, and e90/92 M3. Maintenance is a concern for me considering the brake rotors for the E63 are about 700 each for the fronts, the M3 is about half that.

where do you live exactly? 996's are pretty cheap and abundant in my area. 993's usually go for more than the 996, unless you are just looking at turbos only, then i can see what you mean.

this^. A 2008+ C6 Z51 or Grandsport would be a GREAT buy for the value and performance, or even a base model, but i would go 08+ because they have the LS3 and the revised shifter linkage.

FNR32

Ready to race!
This is very true. I just think i have this thing for domestic cars. I want to not like them all, but in the case of the Vette and Mustang, it's harder to find reasons not to like them...

ah, by me lots of Cayman S's are under $35K no problem. Damn, C6Z06's are in the mid 30's by you? I have not really seen that by me.

I've sat in the new Mustang GT and was pretty impressed just with the interior and seats. They seem very solid and a great bang for your buck option.

S4 - is hot as hell. Easy tunable and fast as fuck after just an intake and chipping. Agreed, TTRS are still pretty rare and high priced...for now.

where do you live exactly? 996's are pretty cheap and abundant in my area. 993's usually go for more than the 996, unless you are just looking at turbos only, then i can see what you mean.

this^. A 2008+ C6 Z51 or Grandsport would be a GREAT buy for the value and performance, or even a base model, but i would go 08+ because they have the LS3 and the revised shifter linkage.

I'm seeing Cayman S's around 35-36, if I travel i can find them cheaper. I'm seeing C6Z06's from 38k to 45k just depending on where I look.

The new mustang is actually pretty nice. I could nit-pick it if I wanted to about the plastic looking dash and ugly ass gauges, but I could nit pick any car given enough time with it since nothing is perfect. The car really is good value for the money, but it sure is a large car compared to something like the GTi.

I haven't really looked into the S4, mainly because it's not really special enough for me. It's sort of does a few things well, but no one thing exceptionally well. I signed papers on a RS4 years and years ago when they first came out and ended up backing out of the deal after the test drive because while the car was FAST, it wasn't THAT fast and the rest of the car left me wanting more, especially for the money they were charging for it at the time.

I live in Birmingham, AL. There isn't a lot here car wise so i'm almost always willing to travel. My R32 came from CT, the Evo from CO, etc. I've purchased most of my cars from other states since what I want is never local, that's why when i look for cars I look all over the country.

The Z51 Vette is a good option instead of the Z06, i hear that block can take a lot more boost too compared to the LS7. Not that I would boost it, but who knows? :)

FNR32

Ready to race!
I think i've decided to keep it. I looked at dozens of cars and nothing out there really offers what im looking for for under 70K, and im not willing to spend 70K on a car just yet. I thought hard about things like the M3, ISF, C63, and even the E63 since i like the look and space it offers, but everything had cons.

The M3 worries me as far as maintaining it outside of warranty, specifically because I really want the DCT and i can only imagine it's not as simple as a clutch change is on a 6 speed when things need repair

The C63 has that "baby benz" image to me and that's hard to get over. Plus in the handling department it's pretty sloppy and not poised at all. It sounds great and goes well and responds well to mods for a NA motor, but i'm just unsure about it. Plus I'd want the performance package, and that adds tons to the cost of repairing the brakes.

The ISF really appeals, because the maintenence costs are low and managable, i think it looks pretty good, and it offers a good compromise between luxury and performance. The issue have with it is that here are no tuning options for it at this time. People throw parts on and let the ECU figure it out. Granted, the ECU seems to do a decent job but with the exception of going full stand alone, you have no options and that bothers me.

The E63 seemed like it really fit the bill. It looks the business, has grown man written all over it, responds well to mods, will eat up some HWY at crazy speeds in extreme comfort, I was sold....Until i checked on maintenance. Brakes cost 3000-3500 to replace. That was devastating to hear as I know how I'd drive it and shelling out 3k Most of which is parts every year just doesn't seem smart at all to me.

The C6 Z06 had all the performance you could want, but it was a Chevy through and through. Can't get with that. Just can't. Plus, tire replacement was nutty expensive.

So, I decided that if im going to settle, i may as well settle with the GTi and just makes the most of it. It's still hoot around town on the streets and i get compliments just about everywhere I go form people on how nice of a car it is or how "cute" it is from the ladies. I don't hate the car and in the price range there really is no competition for the all around package the car offers. Perhaps the upcoming A3 sedan may interest me, but that remains to be seen. I do really appreciate all the input though and I welcome anymore if you have any. I'm always open to new options.

Last edited:

pressure drop

Ready to race!
Just keep waiting. I'm holding out for the mythical Golf RS - that to me is the perfect car. But a mk 7 R would be great too. VAG's got some great machines in the works so I will stick with them.