GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walnut blasting to treat carbon build up

mrlonging

Would walnut blasting to treat carbon build up, be beneficial for my CAVD engine?

My 2012 VW Golf Mk6 1.4TSI Twin-Charger DSG Cabriolet has performed impeccably since I bought it in 2015 at 18k miles (29k km): it now shows 67k miles (108k km). No faults whatsoever - just regular annual servicing. And I don't "spare the horses"! And the car's performance hasn't dropped-off!

To minimise any Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI), I generally drive using the Sport mode of the transmission. This keeps the engine speed up and reduces engine labouring under low revs. I have not noticed any significant deterioration in petrol consumption when using the S mode rather than the D mode.

Early in 2021, I started using premium grade supermarket petrol for alternate refills. Prior to that I only used standard grade petrol, again usually from my local supermarket.

Any advice about the effectiveness of walnut blasting? Would it be beneficial or even advisable to prolong the life of my car's engine?

(I'm planning a long road trip this autumn and I'd like to prepare my car in good time.)
Many thanks for any advice and recommendations you can offer. Maybe there's some other treatment that'd be worthwhile?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Walnut blasting is the best way to clean your intake valves on a DI motor. As to whether you need it, that's up to you/your mechanic and a boroscope.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Would walnut blasting to treat carbon build up, be beneficial for my CAVD engine?

My 2012 VW Golf Mk6 1.4TSI Twin-Charger DSG Cabriolet has performed impeccably since I bought it in 2015 at 18k miles (29k km): it now shows 67k miles (108k km). No faults whatsoever - just regular annual servicing. And I don't "spare the horses"! And the car's performance hasn't dropped-off!

To minimise any Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI), I generally drive using the Sport mode of the transmission. This keeps the engine speed up and reduces engine labouring under low revs. I have not noticed any significant deterioration in petrol consumption when using the S mode rather than the D mode.

Early in 2021, I started using premium grade supermarket petrol for alternate refills. Prior to that I only used standard grade petrol, again usually from my local supermarket.

Any advice about the effectiveness of walnut blasting? Would it be beneficial or even advisable to prolong the life of my car's engine?

(I'm planning a long road trip this autumn and I'd like to prepare my car in good time.)
Many thanks for any advice and recommendations you can offer. Maybe there's some other treatment that'd be worthwhile?
If the performance is good as you have described, I doubt you are ready for walnut blasting. Moving back and forth between regular and premium gas is not something of benefit in terms of engine longevity. However, I would only use fuel of the proper octane specified for that motor. Pre-ignition damage was an issue with more early versions of this particular motor.

Walnut blasting is very effective if you need it and are having performance issue due to carbon build up. Carbon build up is a slow process, not something that is going to take your car down on a road trip if it is otherwise running fine prior to your leaving on your trip.

I would be more worried about checking cooling hoses, vacuum hoses, oil changes, and fluid levels, brake fluid, brake pad thickness. Do you have everything you need to change your tire. Do you know where your wheel lock is. All lights working etc.

mrlonging

Thank you GIACUser. That'll all very reassuring; and what I expected/hoped to hear: contrary to some other "armchair experts" opinions!
One query though: all the information in my car's fuel flap and in the VW handbook says use 95RON minimum grade petrol. No recommendation to use a super/premium grade. Am I wasting my money using 98RON petrol every other refill?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thank you GIACUser. That'll all very reassuring; and what I expected/hoped to hear: contrary to some other "armchair experts" opinions!
One query though: all the information in my car's fuel flap and in the VW handbook says use 95RON minimum grade petrol. No recommendation to use a super/premium grade. Am I wasting my money using 98RON petrol every other refill?

Yes, just use 95 all the time. That is what the car is tuned for. To take advantage of the 98RON you would need to have a new tune for 98RON.