GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
PistolPeteGTI
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2014 MK6 GTI
Downpipe bolts stuck

I currently have a CTS catless downpipe that I am trying to replace with the stock one for emissions. I tried taking the bolts off but they are stuck. I went to a local exhaust shop and they said for a job like that It’d cost around $400. Any suggestions?

Last edited by PistolPeteGTI; 02-25-2018 at 12:20 PM.
PistolPeteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
smanierre
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPeteGTI View Post
I currently have a CTS catless downpipe that I am trying to replace with the stock one for emissions. I tried taking the bolts of but they are stuck. I went to a local exhaust shop and they said for a job like that I’d cost around $400. Any suggestions?
When I did mine it took a lot of heat, pb blaster, leverage, and a welder for the stud that snapped

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Pb blaster, and let it soak for a while, keep spraying it every few hours so it can eat all that stuff off.
GroceryGTIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Mk6 Steve
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Black GTI coupe DSG
Aerokroil....
APR V3.2, APR K04, Carbonio Stg 1+2 w/ AEM, APR RSC TBE, Do88 Ic, 034 Catch Can Kit (summer), OEM pcv "AH" (winter) AWE S3 top, Neuspeed charge pipe, Rev D, R8 coils w/ NGK 2668, 034 motor/trans mounts, HPA 75A, TyrolSport subframe and brake stiffening kit, Unibrace UB, Hotchkis/APR F+R sway bars, WALK, F+R Centric w/ StopTech Strt, USP SS brake lines, Depo dark cherry tails, ECS Blind Spot Mirrors, Enkei 18x8 black M52 w/ Conti DWS, Soundaktor delete, VCDS Hex-Can, P3 gauge
Mk6 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
pdan
Oval Champion

Drives: 2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold), 2013 GTI
I ended up pretty much stripping the upper inner nut and almost gave up until my grandfather had an idea. Used one of those sockets with sorta teeth in it that clamp down as you turn, and a hammer to really wedge that sucker in there. Took a long time but did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdan View Post
I ended up pretty much stripping the upper inner nut and almost gave up until my grandfather had an idea. Used one of those sockets with sorta teeth in it that clamp down as you turn, and a hammer to really wedge that sucker in there. Took a long time but did the trick

Before I did my turbo swap, i started spraying all the bolts about a week ahead of time, pb blaster stinks in a garage with the door closed, but imo it does the job better than anything else will.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
pdan
Oval Champion

Drives: 2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold), 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTIer View Post
Before I did my turbo swap, i started spraying all the bolts about a week ahead of time, pb blaster stinks in a garage with the door closed, but imo it does the job better than anything else will.

Agreed that stuff does wonders

Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
adema69
Autocross Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
When I did my ko4 I showered the shit out of all the down pipe and manifold bolts with pb blaster days in advanced.
adema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
PB blaster and heat. I let my bolt soaks in PB for about 2 hours but they still snapped. Has to use a torch and pair of vice grips to get the old snapped bolts out.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
damn 400 is a bit redic. I took it to a local VW mechanic and he charged 1 hour of labor. $85.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
GroceryGTIer
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
damn 400 is a bit like being gang raped in prison. I took it to a local VW mechanic and he charged 1 hour of labor. $85.
Fixed!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
10_white_gti
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 gti
All mine came off sorta easy but the inner top once. I wire brushed the studs the best I could do that it wouldn’t seize up on the crud and flaky rust then hit them with PB. That top inner one took some work. It loosened up then started to seize up, tightened it back up more wire brushing and Pb. Then I had to loosen and tighten it up working it back and forth till I finally got it off.
10_white_gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_white_gti View Post
All mine came off sorta easy but the inner top once. I wire brushed the studs the best I could do that it wouldn’t seize up on the crud and flaky rust then hit them with PB. That top inner one took some work. It loosened up then started to seize up, tightened it back up more wire brushing and Pb. Then I had to loosen and tighten it up working it back and forth till I finally got it off.
thats one thing some people forget. if you start loosening and its getting tight just switch back to tightening and try again... not always best to force it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote