GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[GTA] Winter Tires

Shieze

I know this is still a tad early but I thought I might as well start this off. Where do you guys recommend to get some winter tires from in the GTA? I am specifically in Markham.

I am driving a GTI and am thinking of just putting some steelies on unless there is a really good price on some rims ($80 a piece or something). I have looked at some of the online shops but right now they don't have steelies listed and shipping is a killer.

O-III

Ready to race!
Have you checked with your dealer? Here in Ottawa they have a deal which I think is hard to beat: Pirelli Winter Carvings on steel wheels for $975 + tax. The same package on TireRack came to over $1100 USD! Speaking from experience these are best winter tires I've ever had (on my 2002 Jetta).

mrtn

Ready to race!
I just bought my winter tires and rims today. Got a total cost (taxes, install etc) of $908 for Hankook iPikes on 16" steels, but i opted for OEM VW 5 star alloys for $1111 all taxes in.

Shieze

I just bought my winter tires and rims today. Got a total cost (taxes, install etc) of $908 for Hankook iPikes on 16" steels, but i opted for OEM VW 5 star alloys for $1111 all taxes in.

That sounds like a good deal. Where did you get them from?

Auroraboy

Passed Driver's Ed
The following are popular with a lot of the car forums - Exclusive Tire - Westney Road, Ajax, Extreme Tire, Yonge St. Richmond Hill, Simply Tire, Allen Road/401 Toronto, and NextMod - Yorktech Drive, Markham. I have personally dealt with Extreme Tire in Richmond Hill, and can recommend them as standup guys to deal with.

Black Pearl

Passed Driver's Ed
GTA Winter Tires

I've also begun to "shop around". Two different GTA dealers have told me there will be winter tire packages available and the tires they are offering are the Pirelli Sottozero. I'm curious...the prices are pretty much "ballpark" with what I was quoted at Costco for Michelin X-Ice II's. Any opinions on how the tires compare, etc., is appreciated.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
I've also begun to "shop around". Two different GTA dealers have told me there will be winter tire packages available and the tires they are offering are the Pirelli Sottozero. I'm curious...the prices are pretty much "ballpark" with what I was quoted at Costco for Michelin X-Ice II's. Any opinions on how the tires compare, etc., is appreciated.

My dealer quoted those tires at $220 each. I was looking at almost $1,700 with an average alloy. Way too much, as far as I'm concerned. I balked at the price and they suggested a Marangoni with alloys for $999 - I've never heard of those...

Costco type pricing on the Pirelli might be a good deal, what are they quoting?

Black Pearl

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealer quoted those tires at $220 each. I was looking at almost $1,700 with an average alloy. Way too much, as far as I'm concerned. I balked at the price and they suggested a Marangoni with alloys for $999 - I've never heard of those...

Costco type pricing on the Pirelli might be a good deal, what are they quoting?

Costco quoted me approx $1000 for Michelin X-Ice II on four steel wheels. I was quoted a similar price at my local VW dealer for Pirelli SottoZero tires, also on steelies. If the prices are similar, I'll go with the best tire...thats why I'm wondering what people think of these two tires head to head.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
Costco quoted me approx $1000 for Michelin X-Ice II on four steel wheels. I was quoted a similar price at my local VW dealer for Pirelli SottoZero tires, also on steelies. If the prices are similar, I'll go with the best tire...thats why I'm wondering what people think of these two tires head to head.

Although I haven't actually driven either, the information I read makes it sound like the Xice would be a better tire for our local weather conditions. It's quieter and better on the slick icy stuff.

MetallusMaximus

Lurker here also shopping early for winter tires...
I'm curious, was the dealer quote on the SottoZeros for 17" or 16", and how much was it before taxes?

Thanks.

Shieze

I called Town+Country VW and they quoted me $1000+tax for 16inch steel rims with Gislaved tires. I should ask them how much more it would be for some alloys.

Black Pearl

Passed Driver's Ed
Lurker here also shopping early for winter tires...
I'm curious, was the dealer quote on the SottoZeros for 17" or 16", and how much was it before taxes?

Thanks.

The SottoZeros were 16" on steelies. Two dealers gave me quotes...Oakville VW at $1200ish and Roseland VW about a hundred bucks cheaper. As far as I know it was rims, tires, installation and balancing, but before taxes (I think). Sorry...when I heard $1200, I tuned out. I figured I could do better elsewhere.

Kevandra

Ready to race!
The SottoZeros were 16" on steelies. Two dealers gave me quotes...Oakville VW at $1200ish and Roseland VW about a hundred bucks cheaper. As far as I know it was rims, tires, installation and balancing, but before taxes (I think). Sorry...when I heard $1200, I tuned out. I figured I could do better elsewhere.

Yes, same here on the tune out. However, I am starting to think that the Marangoni's on alloys for $999 isnt a bad deal. I just can't find too much information on that tire. It sounds popular in Europe.