GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

phantom vibration problem

ottawa gti

I have 2010 VW GTI, 115K. It stock and not been modified. Well taken care of. Have been having a problem for over a year now. The steering shimmies or vibrates at 110K to 150K when the engine is working. (its more noticeable than a year ago. It constant and there are highway speeds above 110K). It disappears when you cost down to and then comes back on say when the cruise cuts back in at 110K. Have ruled out tires and balance (three sets of new tires and rims from another GTi confirmed its not the tires or the balance). The suspension is solid (VW dealer mechanics) can locate anything.. Hubs are centric and no issues detectable. We tried replacing the drive shafts have improved around town turning but no affect on the vibration which there when the engine is under load. I DSG seems to shift beautifully and there are no clunks or bangs like I have experienced in other VW with issues in the DSB. Any one out there had a similar experience and or advise?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Do you have wheel spacers fitted? Your post is a little confusing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ottawa gti

No there are no spacers. The car is stock. Basically there is vibration in the steering wheel at 110K to 120K irrespective of three different sets of stock wheels and road force balanced tires are on the car. Mechanics are wondering if it is steering rack or DSG as everything seems to have been ruled out.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I had the same problem, it's a combination of things that cause the "shimmy" as we refer to the vibration in the BMW world. Bottom line your lower control arm bushings are worn and need replacement. Softer softwall tires will cover the problem up by absorbing some of the ossolations. The rear bushing is the most at fault but while you're in there you should do the front as well.

Short Bus did us a great write up, if you're handy you can save $$ using it.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112049

I bought my Febi bushings from AutohausAZ.

Good Luck

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I had the same problem, it's a combination of things that cause the "shimmy" as we refer to the vibration in the BMW world. Bottom line your lower control arm bushings are worn and need replacement. Softer softwall tires will cover the problem up by absorbing some of the ossolations. The rear bushing is the most at fault but while you're in there you should do the front as well.

Short Bus did us a great write up, if you're handy you can save $$ using it.
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112049

I bought my Febi bushings from AutohausAZ.

Good Luck

https://youtu.be/T6TGnnAFTnU

not to hijack you thread but...:D
I have the same issue..car is 250K
could you share what part numbers you bought? Wondering if 2.5 would differ from GTI.. :cool:

thanks!

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...not to hijack you thread ...
I have the same issue..car is 250K
could you share what part numbers you bought? Wondering if 2.5 would differ from GTI.. :cool:

thanks!
I believe they are the same.

I purchased from AutoHausAZ. I don't know how much they known in the VW world but I buy alot of Porsche maintenance parts from them and they had the parts so... .
https://www.autohausaz.com/?utm_sou...ail&utm_term=0_ad86343d13-02199ffd0f-94022897

EDIT: They had complete Rear Febi Bilstein Rear Bushings for both sides for $26 each(P/N: FB-1K0199231J & P/N: FB-1K0199232J) but I bought the stiffer rubber inserts (Febi #33973).

I had to search Febi 33973.

Attachments

• AotoHausAZ-Bushings.jpg
    AotoHausAZ-Bushings.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
hey Man thanks a lot for the part numbers. Will do the research. Never ordered from here however I don't mind trying it out.

Doubt I've got the skills to do this on my own however first time for everything. If I had a hoist I would have tried it the way dude did in the Youtube video...

OP...did you ever resolve?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yeah I was gonna say double check control arm bushings as well. A nice lil upgrade is to put the S3 or RS3 bushings in too. I have the S3 ones and it improved driving feel

ottawa gti

Thanks for the discussion. The bushings were ruled out as the potential problem. It si definitely common in GTI's and the right advise to check and replace. Unfortunately not the Suspension is solid throughout. No movement in it but the vibration in the steering is stil there. So frustrating. Drove i on a 600K trip today and the vibration is there when the engine is engaged. Will go up to 150K happily and then vibration disappears until power comes on again above 110 K

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Alignment?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Inner track rod or track rod end maybe?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I've just been experiencing a new vibration issue. Only 45k, 2014 model :(