GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine braking with DSG?

daihard

Ready to race!
Hi.

I've only driven my new GTI for a couple of days, so this impression may not be all that accurate. Well, I feel that the DSG transmission doesn't give you as much engine braking as the standard manual transmission. Does anyone feel the same? (I am talking about the manual mode, not Drive/Sports mode.)

Thanks!

[EDIT] Nevermind... I found an existing thread about this topic. I'll post my question there.

daihard

Ready to race!
The car rev matches for you. There is very little engine braking.

It is not the lack of proper rev-matching that causes engine braking. Engine braking is caused by the internal resistance in the engine. You will get engine braking when you downshift (whether or not you rev-match), because a higher revolution means more internal resistance.

Antero128

Ready to race!
I understand that, im just saying that the initial but slow down isnt there because the car rev matches for you. Why do you want to engine brake anyways? Be kind to your transmission.

daihard

Ready to race!
I understand that, im just saying that the initial but slow down isnt there because the car rev matches for you. Why do you want to engine brake anyways? Be kind to your transmission.

First, why would there be less deceleration when the car rev-matches for you than when you do it yourself? It's the same action.

Second, why am I not kind to the transmission when I use engine braking? Engine braking should not cause any extra wear on the transmission as long as the rev is matched.