GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Twincharger or TSI Turbocharger?

daihard

Ready to race!
I was looking for the explanation of "TSI" when I ran into this.

http://www.volkswagen.com/vwcms/mas.../innovation/technical_glossary/tsi.index.html

The page seems to explain two types of TSI - "TSI Twincharger" and "TSI Turbocharger."

Which of the two describes the TSI engine in the MKVI GTI? I'd think it's the latter, or "TSI Turbocharger," as I don't believe the engine is equipped with a supercharger. I could very well be wrong...

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
Twincharger means that it's a turbo and supercharger (which the GTI is NOT) <---- edit

Nice you have 69 posts :)

Last edited:

daihard

Ready to race!
Twincharger means that it's a turbo and supercharger (which the GTI is)

Nice you have 69 posts :)
Sorry this makes 70. LOL

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the GTI engine actually included a supercharger. I looked at the brochure and other online references but never found any reference to a supercharger in the GTI engine. Gotta look harder, I guess. :)

Or could you point me to a web site that specifically refers to the 2.0-litre TSI engine as Twincharger? Thanks again!

daihard

Ready to race!
Last edited:

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
i think someones been yanking your chain

daihard

Ready to race!

generic83

lol wheel spin
The twincharged tsi is for the european market. I believe its a 1.4litre. I dont think you can get a GTI with the twincharged motor, but you can get a golf in it.

daihard

Ready to race!
The twincharged tsi is for the european market. I believe its a 1.4litre. I dont think you can get a GTI with the twincharged motor, but you can get a golf in it.

Thanks. Sure looks like it. I did some reading up on it in the VWvortex forum, where they say that the only application of the twincharger was the 1.4 litre engine as you mentioned.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
TSI is just a generic term used by VW and Audi to denote that an engine is "boosted" and has direct injection.

Beyond that, there are numerous different motors that fall under this moniker.

1.4 TSI TWINcharged
1.4 TSI Turbo-only
1.8 TSI Turbo
2.0 TSI Turbo (later version of 2.0 FSI)
3.0 TSI Supercharged (Audi S4)
etc.

There are probably quite a few more in various international markets for many different vehicles, but that gives you an idea.

daihard

Ready to race!
TSI is just a generic term used by VW and Audi to denote that an engine is "boosted" and has direct injection.

Beyond that, there are numerous different motors that fall under this moniker.

1.4 TSI TWINcharged
1.4 TSI Turbo-only
1.8 TSI Turbo
2.0 TSI Turbo (later version of 2.0 FSI)
3.0 TSI Supercharged (Audi S4)
etc.

There are probably quite a few more in various international markets for many different vehicles, but that gives you an idea.
Thanks. I believe one source of confusion is that VW/Audi uses the same abbreviation (TSI) for all those different engine types. I was first led to believe that TSI simply stood for "Turbo Stratified Injection," but then realised that it would not make sense for the twincharged engine.